I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uses for Lathe Accessories??
Posted by: Steve S. (---.norwest.com)
Date: July 18, 2001 12:10PM

I'm considering purchasing some attachment for the Clemens Lathe I own. I love the Lathe and highly recommend it, even considering the initial cost. I can visualize the lathe lasting the rest of my life and still having usefulness to the guy that buys it in the estate sale that my wife will have shortly after I'm gone.

Can anyone share their first hand expierence with the "Boring Tool and Tail Stock Center" and other Clemens accessories? I was looking for something to finish grips while on mandrals.

What other uses are rod builders using the attachments for. Are they useful enough to purcahse?

While the acessories are not cheap, the cost is relatively minor if they improve the overall operation of the Lathe.

Thanks in advance.

Steve S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uses for Lathe Accessories??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 18, 2001 02:10PM

The accessories will only increase the usefulness and value of your original purchase of the lathe. The boring tail stock makes quick work of boring holes in bushings/arbors, hosels, winding checks, etc. (I'd bet I can bore out a set of brick foam, cork or wood reel seat arbors faster than you can make them out of masking tape!)

Pop in the live center and you can use any mandrel which is counterbored to accept it. Get the tool rest and in effect you have a light duty wood turning lathe.

I have dedicated one of my lathes just for tasks other than wrapping. I use it for cork and eva turning, boring any number of parts, polishing, reaming, etc. The accessories truly make it a complete rod building tool. Very well worth the money. And more accessories are on the way. In the New Products section of the next RodMaker we'll unveil a new lathe accessory that I think almost everybody with one of these units will go for.

Lathe Accessories??
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2001 08:38PM

Renzetti has a live center that is a stand alone unit. It's considerably less than having to buy the boring tailstock and then the live center attachment to go into it. No use paying for it if you don't need it. But I bought all the accessories including the boring tailstock. Lots of things you can do when you have the whole kit.

Re: Lathe Accessories??
Posted by: Phil D'Avanzo (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2001 01:44AM

Can anyone describe the difference with the Renzetti solid state foot pedal. I have a Custom Power wrap and the low end foot control stinks. Can I use this o a CPW?

Re: Lathe Accessories??
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: July 19, 2001 09:00AM

Steve: I also have the Clemens lathe and the boring tool. I replaced the 3/8" chuck with a 1/2" chuck. I have a set of drill bits in 1/64" increments ranging from 1/8" to 1". Every bit from 1/2" to 1" has a 1/2" shaft. I can use them all in the chuck I now have. I use the boring tool to drill graphite and cork arbors, cork rings for handles, etc. I have even used the tool for holding a drill bit and then hand turning an EVA grip to get the ID larger. The Clemens lathe is tops in my book. John

Re: Lathe Accessories?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 19, 2001 09:11AM

I have several types of foot controls, all work very well. The solid state control does offer some advantages. I believe you can use it with the motor you have now on your CPW. If you want to be sure, just click on the link to Renzetti and use their contact email to ask. I am sure they will get back to you quickly. Please note that the "Power Pack" unit with the large, reversible motor/control would not be something you could use with your CPW without some modifications. The standard solid state foot control could be, however.

Posted by: crussell (---.mercerville-08-09rs.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 19, 2001 10:11AM

While not available as a commercial accessory, it is a simple adaptation to make the lathe and live center work as a line winder to transfer bulk line to spinning reel spools.

Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: July 19, 2001 12:23PM

Phil,
Unfortunately, back when CPW started making the rod wrapping units, the mechanical foot controls were the only ones readily available. Since then, we have upgraded all our current models to include an electric foot control. We do have the current foot controls available as an upgrade.
Thanks,
Wes
Angler's Workshop

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2001 06:33PM

Another use for the live center is that I take it off the lathe and set it on the carpet supported by my foot to use as a vertical spine finder. I am in the process of making a base that will be used in a verticle position.

Just another use of equipment.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster