I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Style Patents
Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: July 17, 2001 05:50PM

Below ther is a post discussing Revolver Rods (put a little R with a circle around it here) and I find this concept interesting. I find it most intersting that it is possible to patent a rod building style. What would happen if an innovative person accidently duplicated certain aspects of the Revolver style unknowingly. Is there liability here? What if I see a spiral wrap I like and I duplicate it? Could a particularly possessive person claim it as theirs and initiate litigation?

Sorry folks, but it appears I have become quite paranoid lately.

Options: ReplyQuote
Not a style patent
Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: July 17, 2001 06:33PM

He hasn't patented the style. What he has done is trademarked the Revolver Rod name. Common practice.

In my limited dealings with patents, I don't think that the style of the wrapping or construction can be patented.

Where's a lawyer when you need one?

Oh, this one Revolver Rod®
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: July 17, 2001 08:06PM

LOL

John, the ® is as Mike stated a registered trademark symbol and I used it in the post to point out that the Revolver Rod has been properly registered by Rich Forhan. This will let customers know they are getting the true Revolver Rod as it has been designed by Rich.

Other builders can copy at will but the version from Rich may/will contain features in the construction process that are not visible to the naked eye. "Tricks of the trade" so to speek. Although more, but not all I hope(LOL), of these tricks will be revealed in the coming pages of RodMaker Magazine.

The ® lets us know that the name and or logo has been officially registered as opposed to an implied trademark by using the (TM) symbol. However, a company can register a name and or logo and continue using the (TM) symbol if they choose.

There are people in the world who are on constant lookout for the TM symbol and if the logo or trade name has not been properly registered, they will do so in their own name. This done they then try selling the name or design back to the person or company that has been using it all along. Many ways to be a crook!LOL

Re: Oh, this one Revolver Rod®
Posted by: Jeff (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: July 17, 2001 11:31PM

Actually, you can patent just such a thing. If I recall the roberts wrap was patented.

As to suits if you started building and selling "Revolver Rods" without paying the license fee you could get sued by the trademark holder. In fact the holder must seek to stop you or they can lose the exclusive right to the mark.

Spiral Wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 18, 2001 09:00AM

Actually the "Robert's Wrap" has never been patented. A particular form of a spiral wrap was patented early in the last century by a Mr. John Scanlan of Chicago.

The "Bolt" wrap!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: July 18, 2001 05:10PM

I just applied for a patent for the "Bolt" wrap which now means that anyone that builds any rod other than a Revolver Rod will have to pay ME for the right to do so.

All you folks will now stop building rods and I WILL OWN THE ROD BUILDING WORLD!!! YA AH AH!!!!!!

Re: The "Bolt" wrap!
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2001 09:02PM

Got a feeling that when you do the 'prior art' search you'll see the folly in this. Oh well, just don't write any checks on the expected windfall!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster