I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Downrigger/boat rod Lake Michigan
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt2.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 03:13AM

Hey guy's,
I want to build a few boat rods for a close friend and want to surprise him so I can't ask him. What am I looking for in a downrigger rod? Fiberglass, composite ? He fishes Lake Michigan for Lakers, Steelhead, Chinook,Coho,Browns, Etc. He specializes in light line tackle not the usual leadcore. He generally has 6 downrigger and 2 to 4 outrigger/planer. (depends on the amount of people in the boat.Indiana 3 rods per person) Anyway I would like to hook him up with spiral wrapped rods to try out. So if you guys have some advise to offer on blank selection I am going to sponge it up. Where you at Tom Kohl (Petrochemical)? I bet you can help!!!
Thanks as usual,
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Downrigger/boat rod Lake Michigan
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 04:13AM

I forgot to ask about guides and reel seats also. All baitcast / levelwinds. Would I use triggers? I suppose hypalon would be a good choice for the handles.
thanks again,
Mark Schulte

Posted by: Duane Jenkins (208.4.153.---)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:29AM

I'll give you my 2 cents worth as one who has fished there. The rods I use in the spring, on downriggers and side planers, are 8' UL fiberglass, slow action bait casting rods. 8'6" Light to medium rods are also popular. I use 11'6'' UL rods on flatlines. They have EVA grips and triggers. The triggers are nice when letting out line. Make sure the reel seats are big enough to handle the reels. I have heard of guys grinding their reel feet because the seats were too small. I am debating rewrapping the guides in a spiral. When the rods are in the holders the weight of the reels has a tendency to turn the rods over especially when pulling side planners, or Dipsy Divers. Spiralling would add some stability. I would put SIC guides on them. A king salmon can take a lot of line in a hurry. The rods I have are factory rods. I too would be interested in blank suggestions.

Posted by: Petro Chem (Tom Kohl) (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 12:28PM

Hi Mark-

Let's start with the handle- You can go with EVA or hypolon. I prefer hypolon as it is a bit spongier (yet quite a bit more durable) than EVA.

For reelseats, my fave is a Fuji DPSH (heavy duty boat reelseat). This will fit ANY of the reels used on the Great Lakes with no probs. I found aftermarket triggers from Offshore Angler that double as a reel clamp. I believe they're called "Trigg'r Clamp", or something to that effect. You can use the standard spinning/casting seat as well, usually at least a 20mm or above (to fit the larger reels). In the DPSH style I use 22 or 24mm size.

Guides can be Sic's or Hardloy's- both work great. For super-braids (which are gaining more popularity on the lake) I do use Sic's (NSG) and for mono I use the BNLG's.

For wire-line rods, use the Aftco Lightweight's (forget about Sic's for this type of rod, IMO they just don't work nearly as well as rollers) and an Aftco STD swivel top. On any ring-guided rod, the spiral will definitely keep your rigs upright in the holders. I'm a bit of a late bloomer on the spiral wrap, but I am a convert now- no going back to standard guide configs, now that I've spiralled....

Lots of great blanks out there for this type of fishing! Shkespeare is a very popular brand out here. Inexpensive and indestructible- how can you beat that? My favorites for downrigging and yellow birds are the UU1084 (2-pc 9 ft 12-20 slow), the GBC965 (2-pc 8 ft 12-20), and the USU944 (1-pc 8 ft 12-20).

From Seeker I really like the DR822 (8'2" 6-15# moderate action), the SA896 and 853F (these make terrific leadcore rods, BTW. Especially the 853F minus about 2" from the tip). All of the Seeker salmon/steelhead blanks are very nice, I like the 804, 854, or 904 in the 8-20# rating.

For wire line fishing, the Seeker SB805, SB806, and 906 (my fave) with Aftco LWR's are hard to beat. If you look at my wire line rods on my site- these are the blanks I'm using for those rods. Top notch.

Hope this helps a little!

Tom Kohl
Petrochemical

Posted by: Dick Jones (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2002 11:44AM

Mark, I've been out of town & just getteing caught up with the board. My favorate blank is the 2pc. ugly stik a0334b 9 ft. You can cut as much as 9 in off butt & 3 in off tip. I use fuji dtpsd trigger reel seat. I use custom grip II grips 11 in. butt grip & 7 in foregrip. I use fugi hardloy guides BSVLG 25 down to 7 skipping 20, 16 with spiral wrap. I fish 17lb. mono. I've tried the super braids, but gave up because of too many false releases. Dick

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: February 07, 2002 12:33PM

Thanks guy's I appreciate the help.
Mark Schulte

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster