I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heat to Finishes?
Posted by: Paul O (---.iwco.com)
Date: July 17, 2001 03:21PM

Hi,

I've been reading alot of the posts hear and when finishing comes up, sometimes it is mentioned that when using Flex Coat, you apply heat.

What for and How?

Thanx in advance

Paul O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heat to Finishes?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 17, 2001 04:25PM

Slightly warming the finishes momentarily reduces the viscosity and allows any bubbles, which are also enlarged by the heat, to rise to the surface and escape. Although some people really go to town on this - using propane torches and the like to really cook it, you can get the same results with the gentle flame of an alcohol lamp or even a butane lighter held a few inches below the finish as you move it to and fro while you slowly spin the rod. Do not let the flame touch the wraps/finish.

Another idea is to use the warm air from a hair dryer. This can generate dust and dirt onto the finish so be careful.

One exception to this is the new LS Supreme. There is a component in the hardener that will boil at about 160F. For that reason it is not a good idea to use heat on it. I prefer to mix, pour out on a level surface covered with aluminum foil, let sit for about 5 minutes (you have plenty of pot life) and the bubbles magically escape on their own. Luckily the LS product releases bubbles rather well so the only ones you should have to deal with are the larger ones which can be removed manually with a toothpick or by exhaling on them.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: July 17, 2001 06:35PM

Use an alcohol burner. You can get butane soot on the finish with a lighter if you get it too close.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.131.usr.olynet.com)
Date: July 18, 2001 02:58PM

When I apply Flex coat I try and have the room temp about 80 degrees. All the respones you have already recived are great.
I also use a a butane tourch. Be vary careful with the tourch and keep it moveing over the finish as soon as you see a glob of finish show remve the tourch and remove excess finish. with a brush. I have my rods rotating on my turner while I doing this. I would practice on a old rod befor going on to a new blank
Good luck Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster