I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage sp 4wt
Posted by: Dennis Scott (---.nas1.stockton1.ca.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2002 07:58PM

How does the Sage sp 486-3pc (8'6" 4wt) compare to some of the better 4wts out there? i.e.) St.Croix IV. I might be able to pick a blank up for $58. I don't want to build it if it's not a great blank.

Dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage sp 4wt
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 09:16PM

It would certainly be good. As good as the St. Croix? Maybe and maybe not. I think you need to build the blank that suits you the best and not just the one that costs the most or is the best buy. A bargain is not a bargain if it's not what you want.

Posted by: Preston Quan (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: February 03, 2002 10:19PM

The Sage SP is a very high end blank. It's a medium fast action rod. The Sage XP is Sage's other high-end blank and is fast action. Just this year Sage discontinued the SP and released the new SLT line. I've never tested it but reviews say it's a bit faster than the SP but still slower than the XP.

The St. Croix IV is classified as a fast action rod. I haven't tried it but definitely it's not as pricey as the Sage. Difference might be the unconditional warranty Sage offers.

Hope that helps,
Preston

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: February 03, 2002 10:48PM

For $58. It has to be the best 4 wt for the money AND more !!! GO GET IT !!!

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.tnt1.phoenix.az.da.uu.net)
Date: February 03, 2002 11:48PM

The Sage SP486-3 I recently purchased is my least favorite rod of the nine I own. Sage advertises this rod as having "hidden power". Well, it sure is hidden from me. I have tried this rod with different lines and it just seems to run out of gas early in the cast. I don"t find any thing fast about this rod. Another rod I have is the Powell LLT 793-3. I consider it to be a superior rod in every way. Could be just me and my casting style but I for one am not impressed with the Sage SP 486-3. Regards, Bill

Posted by: Fred Krow (---.ctconnect.net)
Date: February 04, 2002 01:03PM

Bill,
I agree the 486-3 SP is a rather slow rod and does not have the backbone for windy day casting. If one like a slow rod with action similar to a Winston, this is a bargian price.

I slected the 486 XP which is ideal for my casting sytle.

Regards,
Fred Krow

Powell LLT Series in a 4wt or 5wt !
Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: February 04, 2002 06:46PM

Yes, I can agree with you. That is a Great Rod, thow really hard-to-find! I testes one "against" SP 486-3, it is better in every way. Cosmethics, Casting accuracy, Power, Grip and HardWare, etc. But, for the $58.- still great to buy a Sage SP.-

ST Croix IV
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 08:10PM

On advice from this board I acquired a #4 8 feet length SCIV from St Croix. It is truly a remarkable blank and although you can't buy one retail for $58 it won't cost that much more and might just make you a much better rod!

As someone above said, it isn't a bargain if it isn't what you want. I'd spend the extra and take a chance on the St Croix. Very nice rod indeed!

Re: ST Croix IV
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 04, 2002 09:53PM

Dennis,
The SCIV St. Croix blank is amongst one of the very favorites of many fly rod builders. Very crisp response and handling characteristics, loads nicely and casts with an incredible transfer of power. Warranty may be a consideration with Sage as Preston alludes to, but all things considered with value vs. performance and just haveing something you would like and works well, I doubt you'de be disappointed with the St. Croix blank. SCIV is our #1 selling higher end fly blank for good reason and with excellent consistency.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: ST Croix IV
Posted by: Wes Faul (---.usw2.rb1.pdx.nwlink.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 05:48PM

My suggestion:
Purchase the blank and build it up. $58.00 for a sage blank - you can't go wrong. After you build it up, test it out. If you like it, keep it. If you don't - sell it. If you price it relative to what they sold it for, or what they're still going for, you could sell it for enough to try out another blank.
Wes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster