I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wolf weaves?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 23, 2004 09:54AM

Hi folks,
I have just been asked to build a very special fishing rod for someone and they would like for me to incorporate a wolf motif into the rod. We're talking the full on filigree wolf bust, acid etch pack running on nickel silver reelseat, I mean all the bells and whistles (wolf wise) I can include into the build.
I am looking for opinions, suggestions and ideas as to just how hard it will be to take the picture I have post of a wolf tattoo from the picture to a weave. I would like to match the tattoo as closely as possible although there is some fine work to try and copy.

Thanks for any replies you may have,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wolf weaves?
Posted by: Larry Tysinger (12.145.80.---)
Date: April 23, 2004 10:18AM

Wylie,

Mark Crouse, who uses this site and has many post on the photo page, will make a left list for any item you would want to weave.

I sent him some photos and he made left list which were laminated. Mark does wonderful work. You can find his email address on this site. He is located in West Virginia.

Larry R. Tysinger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 23, 2004 11:38AM

This is a perfect case for VisualWeave. Too bad it is not complete at this time, although it's getting close.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 23, 2004 12:01PM

Wylie,
You can ask the recipient of the rod and tattoo bearer who the artist is.Then call or go by his studio and explain what you want to do.He may just make a copy of the flash(the artwork) for you to send to Mark Crouse.Most good tattoo artists have copy machines in studio and they can even reduce or enlarge it for you.That way,the artwork will look its best when Mark makes a left list for you.
I know this to be true as I have a bit of the ink under my skin as well.
Chuck

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.net1026.tx.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2004 12:51PM

If you can get a picture of the wolf go to a craft store and buy a product called Transgraf-X. It is a grid that you can lay over any picture and copy. You will have an instant pattern.

Date: April 24, 2004 06:20AM

Larry,
I have seen Mark's work and I do consider him a master rod builder and a very creative person. I am not exactly up on the terminology of the lefy list but I will see if Mark can get me filled in on what I will need in the way of materials and what's need for this challenge I have set before myself this time.
Thanks Larry

Hi Billy,
I still haven't hooked up with the Visual Wrap program yet but it really looks as though it is gaining momentum and is the best path to developing decorative wraps builders would like to set up.
You know that wood you sent may just be an option for this rod but I will have to see how my customer would like to have it incorporated into his rod if he would.
I started with that reel seat I had mentioned but botched it right out of the gate with the reel seat itself I was splitting. I tried brushing away some nasty looking markings and got carried away so it may just and up with a color coat to hide the boo boos I made.
Thanks for the suggestion and please let me know when you feel the Visual Wrap is at 100%. I think I tried to register to the website but something got mixed up, I'll try again and see if I can get hooked up this time.
I'll be sure to send pictures when I get that wood set up.
Thanks Billy

Hi Chuck,
If I remember correctly it has been mentioned that the ink work was done overseas but I may be able to set the tat into an art program I have and keep the same look. If I remeber correctly the tattoo was done from a drawing that I may just be able to get my hands on, I'll have to chack and see what we can come up with. Either way I don't think I could find anyone more adapt at setting this wolf tattoo into a threadable art work then Mark.
Thanks Chuck

Hi Pat,
That sounds like a real good way to get this scaled down some for a better fit to the space I will have to work with on the rod. You know it may just be a good place to start as I could scan a picture of the tatoo with the graph placed over and then down size the graph/picture with a computer program.
Thanks Pat

Too hip, with the options you guys have helped me with here I should be able to make a real good run at something that I was not sure I wanted to jump into but am feeling a bit more confident with now. Way cool now I just need to get the details together with my customer and down on paper, spend some time at some jewlery stores eye balling some filigree and then work the best I can on the cost to my customer. That cost thing always seems to be the hard part as I almost feel I should be shelling out for the experience but then time is money.
Tight wraps fellas and thanks again,
Wylie

Date: April 24, 2004 09:18AM

Wylie,
While it may mean a bit more legwork,tattoo shops nearby will probably have the same flash on their walls or in their "idea books" with more flash in them.
Chuck

Date: April 24, 2004 04:55PM

Thanks Chuck,
The guy that wants this rod/quote lives down stairs from me so I think I am going to have him handle that end of the deal. The tat is something that a group of his friends have had done and he might just have a drawing to get started with. I'm having that short term beer memory thing but should have all the facts soon enough. : )

Thanks again Chuck,
Wylie

Date: April 24, 2004 07:21PM

Wylie,
You are very welcome.It will help you out if he does that part of it and he will "be involved" in the process and evolution of his rod.It will make it much more special to him in the end.
Chuck

Date: April 25, 2004 06:04AM

I just asked and it looks like I get to take the long way with the make up of the weave itself as there are no pictures of the wolf tat that my friend has. I figure I'll just break it down to some more basic lines and go from there with sizing and color of the threads.
Wish me luck,
Wylie

Date: April 25, 2004 01:16PM

Best of Success to ya Wylie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster