I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marketing
Posted by: CB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2001 08:00PM

The string below on the Lami Perigee blanks really got me thinking. I suppose it is nice to be able to offer a rod built on a blank that there is no competition for. The trouble is the rod builder still has to really 'sell' it to the consumer. If Lami, or whoever else makes similar blanks, was to push it to the actual fishermen and then mention something like, 'Oh, we forgot to tell you, you have to get this through a custom rod builder!' then we would have the demand we need. I don't know how economical that would be for Lami though. But we need some way to get the fishermen to realize that these are top quality blanks. I'm afraid that many would think that since the factory doesn't offer it in a finished rod it might not be top of the line. At least Lami or the others could push and promote these blanks on their web site so fishermen coming in to look at rods might see them and a few would select it and then contact a custom builder. Just some thoughts. Appreciate anything I might have overlooked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marketing
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: June 16, 2001 12:25AM

CB,
You have a good point, and it would be nice of the companies to mention more about enhancements by custom rodbuilders. The other side of the coin is that we also must be doing our own marketing, and often in our own way. Certain principals may apply, but because each rodbuilder may have their own 'thing' to offer.....

For example, last year, I used the perigee blank for a setup (combo)to donate as a prize in a tournament. We used an 'unconventional' hand made wood grip and wood reel seat insert, TiGold guides, silk thread.... not the usual components on any factory rod.
The point is that when potential customers see these differences it will prompt more interest toward the custom builder to explain about the uniqueness of the blank, etc.

True, it would help for manufacturer support, and Lamiglass is good with this for the custom rodbuilder in their advertising TO the rodbuilder ABOUT the uniqueness of the blank, but how better to relay this to a customer is maybe more the job of the rodbuilder??

One thing to consider is maybe to make up a list of blanks or various components and how they would 'fit the scene' for your customers to choose which is for them. That is, the qualities of various blanks such as color, tapers, line ratings, etc. This would let them know that there are blanks available that would be 'Better' than those used with factory rods. (in the rodbuilders opinion, of course).
Of course, we all know that with the time and attention spent in constructing an individual custom rod it will be better looking and better performing than a similar blank model off the store shelf, even if using the 'standard' list of blanks.

Let your customers know that there are some unique choices, or that you can build a rod more unique even if using the usual selections.

There also might be the limitation about presenting technical data about the blank to 'bore' a consumer that might be better presented by the custom rodbuilder. For a finished factory rod, I believe, it is much easier for a manufacturer to tout the features merely because the rod is a complete item. One of the jobs of the custom builder is to help customers in selections based on preferences which really only the custom builder can better relate on site.
This may be just my take on things, but there you have it.

IMHO

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods
www.rodreel.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster