I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

update on exposed spin reel seat
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 16, 2001 12:08PM

A short time ago I posted looking for some exposed reel seats for spin rods. The walleye anglers like their finger on the blank to detect light bites.

In addition to posting on this board I contacted six distributors/dealers. None had, nor knew of the exposed spin reel seat. I did get several interesting responses on how to fashion the reel seat myself, I printed these and appreciate the feedback. My problem with doing it myself is that I don't think my final product will look very professional.

I am going to try and cut out some wood inserts and cork inserts with the Dremel and put the whole thing together with a skelton reel seat.
I will let you know how it works. Any further input would be appreciated.

Buzz Butters
B & B Custom Flies and Rods
Ripon, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: update on exposed spin reel seat
Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2001 01:10PM

Buzz, since your post I have been working on my adaptation. I started with a size 17 Pac Bay skeleton. I plan on mounting it downlocking. I turned an insert and part of the fore grip out of some customwood. Now I need a blank to finish. I figure the hardest part will be to bore the fore grip to fit the blank tight enough to look good. I plan on doing that and then get out the dremel. I think also it will have to be fit to one reel cause your thumb will have a set place. With a little planing I think it will work. Will probably take me a few trys. If someone has a better idea I hope they post.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (63.148.129.---)
Date: July 16, 2001 04:23PM

Buzz, have you considered making a hole in the spinning rod's foregrip rather than the reel seat? It is more comfortable to hold, the thumb is in contact with the blank, and cork is easier to work than wood if you are worried about the looks. Just a thought. I think Clemens had something like that in one of his books.

Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2001 07:14AM

Got me down in the shop working again. My idea is not going to work unless you have 6" thumbs! Does any one make a reel seat without the raised hoods like Fuji? Might be able to do somthing with their combo trigger/spin seat. I don't have one handy. I have been adding wood sensitivity rings incorapated into the foregrip of my spinning rods for years are your walleye fishermen aware of this option?

Date: July 17, 2001 10:29AM

Great idea Bob, keep us updated.
Buzz

Date: July 17, 2001 02:14PM

Bob, Sully, Bill,
Great ideas guys. I am going to have to get down in the shop and do some grinding and dremeling (sp?) and try out your ideas. I like the hole in the foregrip idea also.

My wife and I are planning on this Jan. as being our first National
Guilde conclave. If any of you are going can you please bring along an example of what you have been working on with this exposed reel seat? I do much better with looking at the item. Perhaps a photo that can be posted here would work. Keep me updated on how this
idea progresses.
Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster