I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions on thread and winding checks
Posted by: Mike Carnegie (---.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com)
Date: July 13, 2001 01:53PM

Hello Guys,

Y'all may think I'm nuts, but I'm building my 7 yr old his first flyrod. I bought the SC Ultra Legend 7'6" 5wt blank , Struble chrome U3 skeleton w/myrtle insert, H&H (Short 61/2") Rev. Half-wells grip, and Pac Bay SF chrome guides. That along with the Pflueger Supreme #1856 reel should be something he'll get plenty of enjoyment out of. (Not to mention I'll get my Loomis GLX back for myself again!) Anyhow, this is the third flyrod I've ever built so I'm definitely a greenhorn here. However, I thought I'd ask the pro's for some sage advice on thread color choices/combinations/types for this blank. Secondly, in the past I've opted for black rubber winding checks. I'd like to try a nickel silver type this time around. The butt diameter is .322. What size should I be looking for, especially since I'm using a 6 1/2 inch grip length? The next closest size down that Hook and Hackle carried was .313. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on thread and winding checks
Posted by: Jim (---.cet.com)
Date: July 13, 2001 04:16PM

Hi Mike:

Just fit your cork and reel seat in place, use a caliper or micrometer and measure blank next to cork. On n/s w/c you usually go for actual size or next one up, they don't stretch like the rubber w/c's. You can ream them just a little if necessary, but not much. Good Luck!!

Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2001 06:17PM

I did one a few months ago with Gudebrod green 5896 and 2 turn trim of copper 9396 no color preserver. Looks great I think.

Posted by: Dick Jones (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2001 08:53AM

I made my two grandsons fly rods at that age & I asked them what was their favorate color. One picked red & the other blue

Posted by: Mike Carnegie (---.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com)
Date: July 14, 2001 06:03PM

Thanks fellas, for all of your excellent recommendations. Dick, I especially like your idea. Can't understand why I hadn't thought of it myself though. Knowing my son, I shudder at the thought of what his answer will be! Take care!

Sincerely,
Mike

Why use a winding check?
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.69.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: July 14, 2001 07:26PM

Have never used them, don't like the looks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster