I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blems?
Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 15, 2002 10:06AM

Any thoughts on using these things? I'm not selling anything quite yet so my rods are for myself or friends. Is there a big difference is a full priced blank and a blem. Is it really only cosmetic? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blems?
Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 10:22AM

I just got a lamiglass blem from Mudhole. I'm making a rod for the Cape Cod Canal. I figured that I wouldn't mind when it got banged up.(the canal is lined w/ slippery rocks that eat rods) It is almost perfect. A slight bend near the tip. I'll get rid of that the first time I let my son put it in the truck. I'm sure that there were some that were worse but for a rod for myself this one is great and it was a whole lot cheaper.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:19AM

Many people use and like blems just fine. In recent years however, there are so many good first quality blanks, at such very low prices, I am not sure that I personally would need to use a blem if cost savings was my main goal. Not meaning to leave anyone out, but if you look at the first quality offerings from folks like AMTAK and ForeCast (Rainshadow) you will fine some dynamite 1st quality blanks at very low prices.

You're likely to get more responses on this thread from folks who use blems and 2nds by the dozen - and love them.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:43AM

well my opinion blems are fine for what you are doing . when you get to the point that your are getting paid for your services , and your customer asks for the name and specs on your rods tell them up front . but for the home or hobbie builder ask your self this ? 15-20 blems at 5-12.00 each are 1 gloomis at 375-500.00 but buy building and useing the 15-20 blem blanks your skills will improve and when that buddie are customer sayes
i love your work but can u build me a rod from a gloomis or sage
blank you will be a lot more relaxed doing his after haveing all the others under your belt .. besides most of the time the blems simple have a slight crook in the tip or a finish mishap but there is also a reason why you will not find gloomis blems or as some call 2nds look at there price when u sell blanks for what they sell them for u can grind up all the blanks that might have a slight crook to them and still show a profit .... just my opinion John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 12:18PM

I used blems for my first few rods but no longer need to. I even asked the same question here. Now I have been able to buy discontinued G.Loomis models at a very low cost around 75% off.( $25.00 for a 6'6" Muskie blank and $25.00 for 6'6" Mag Bass blank) just no warrenty same as a blem. Not too bad for low cost high performance. You just need to look around and ask dealers for closeouts. Many are willing to work with you so they can recoup money to restock new models.
My 2 cents
Mark Schulte

Posted by: Ron Hord (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 05:55PM

I have been using lamiglass blems to build rods for myself, family and friends (at cost) to get my skills up. As long as your not selling as custom rods and let people know what your doing it is a great way to get your quantity up to practice.

If anybody has good sources for different blems/2nds please share.

Ron

Posted by: HenrySelesa (---.tm.net.my)
Date: January 16, 2002 08:13AM

This, I feel, should be posted as a new thread but I will just post here anyway. I live in a far away country and blank warranties do not really mean anything to me; I wouldn't return a US$50.00 blank to the US for a new one as shipping alone would be high. My question therefore is, when buying from the States can I forego the warranty and get a good discount on a blank?
Thanks
HSelesa

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 16, 2002 08:34AM

Henry, I've bought many blems from mudhole and have never had a problem with them. I posted this at the same time I ordered five more blanks. I was trying to see if anyone has had any problems with blems and it seems no one has. I'm sure there are other places to buy cheaper rods but I haven't found them yet. I've been happy with the ones from mudhole so I haven't looked much either. For the cost of them buy 4 or 5 and save on shipping. Good luck

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2002 04:46PM

For about the same cost Rainshadow blanks make great rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster