I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood filler for reel seat
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: January 15, 2002 03:00AM

I just got a REC REBX reel seat. Normally I would use tape to when fitting the seat to the blank. I would like to try a wood filler, but which kind of wood should I use - shold not be too heavy right ?

thanks
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood filler for reel seat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 09:54AM

That depends. If you have a longer rod and need help balancing the rod, then a heavy seat insert can be very helpful in getting that balance point where you want it.

If you don't need the weight back there but still wish to use one of the exotic wood inserts, which are usually much heavier than our North American wood species, you can bore the insert out as much as possible and reduce the overall weight of the piece that way.

Lots of options here. Use your imagination. If you need more info just post back and we'll do what we can to guide you.

Date: January 16, 2002 02:16AM

Tom, thanks for the input, but maybe my english is not good enough to express my thoughts.
I'm talking about filling the space between the blank and the reelseat when using an all metal reelseat.
The REBX is quite heavy and long and I would like something lighter and more secure that all that tape - isnt it called a wood filler ?

regards
Peter

Posted by: John DeMartini (65.203.9.---)
Date: January 16, 2002 02:47PM

I use a section of a wood broom handle, if your lucky it will be oak. I took a reel seat apart from a rod I built over 25 years ago and the wood was in as good a condition as the day I installed it. If you are worried about weight, you can drill holes along the length to lighten it. My source for broom handles comes on Tuesdays and Fridays (trash day).

regards

John

Date: January 17, 2002 02:24AM

John,

what a great idea about the holes - can I use like 3 shorter bits of oak with holes or is it better with one long piece ?

Thanks
Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster