I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IMX Fly blanks
Posted by: Joe Hart (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 02:03AM

I am interested in hearing any feedback about the newly re-introduced Loomis IMX fly blanks. I have gotten conflicting reports, everything from forget about them all together to they are exactly the same as the original IMX's but even better. Currently toying with the idea of wrapping up a 9'9''-8wt. & a 9'-5wt. but would like to hear some positives first. Cabela's will be getting my business for these as I know of no one else who carries them. Any one know of other suppliers or where at least a catalog might be found? Also would like to know if any of you might have any experience with the new smaller version Channel Lock fly seats from Pac Bay, they look pretty slick. Thanks,Joe Hart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IMX Fly blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 09:18AM

Most of the Loomis distributors are carrying them. Clemens and Custom Tackle Supply should have them or can get them. I do not know if they are the same tapers as those introduced way back in '87 or not. I'm sure the distributors could help you out with that information.

I took a good look at the Pac Bay channel lock seats at the Guild conclave this past weekend. It's a very nice seat and the channel lock feature has some features which other aluminum type seats do not. The hood is "locked" into alignment and will not spin. This makes seating the reel very easy. I also found that they held the reel very securely. Something that not all metal type seats do very well. Fit and finish was superb and they are very light. Nice seats.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: January 15, 2002 10:09AM

The IMX are excellent choice for the money. My ONLY complaint is the straightness of these blanks. This is my primary blank to build on now. I was very excited to see IMX brought back. Now I don't have to mess with the flopsy GL3. IMX is light, quick recovery and excellent blank for the buck. I just built two 9ft 3pc 4wts for customers and they are absolutely amazed. Now, I must give much of the credit to guide placement, using Morton's approach on multiple collector guides which greatly increases distance for most of us who are not the "Joan Wulff" casters. These rods they said instantly added 20ft. to their cast. Very pleased with the blank except for the straightness. Tend to have a bit of curve to them and unfortunately doesn't coincide with the spine.
Just my opinion
Elrod

Date: January 16, 2002 12:04AM

Thanks Tom for the info on where to obtain the IMX blanks as well as the Channel Lock positives much appreciated. Joe Hart

Date: January 16, 2002 12:15AM

Elrod, thanks for telling me what I wanted to hear regarding the IMX's, can't wait to get started on them. You have any idea where I might find woven graphite reel seats with concealed hoods similar to those used on factory GLX's? Can't quite find the right one's.Thank's again,Joe Hart

Posted by: Larry Michnevich (---.bozeman.mcn.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 11:44AM

Elrod
Thanks for your comments which convinced me to go ahead and order a 9' 4wt IMX Premium kit from Cabela's. The kit costs only a few bucks more than the blank.I may use some or all of the components. My question is what is " Mortons approach to multiple collector guides and what guide placement did you use ? Thanks.Larry

Posted by: Tony (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 02, 2002 07:43PM

I'm also looking for the GLX reel seats.Did you ever find them?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster