I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any Info?
Posted by: John Knapp (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 06:07PM

Has anyone figured out who might be the manufacturer of the Bass Pro Shops "XPS titanium" Johnny Morris signiture series Casting reelseats yet?
If you don't know what they look like check them out at bassproshops.com. They are nothing like the same old reelseats found anywhere anybody sells rod building components.
what's the use of building a custom one of a kind rod and have the same reelseat on it that "Joe Fisherguy" has on his Wall-mart special?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Info?
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 14, 2002 08:08PM

if you are looking for the woven carbon fiber reel seat do a search on here a couple weeks ago there was a lot of discussion and somebody listed the mfg if i remember correct it is a pac bay product besides in my opinion , the hand crafted custom built rod wheather are not your are useing "joe fisherman " reel seats.
can not and shall not be compared to the off the rack mass produced rods out there . next time you are in a store grab a hand full of mass produced rods spline them and look real close at the epoxy work. the public goes in a store and buys these products based on cost and avability pure and simple . build a couple of rods and use them as a display have your customers
order their rods then , otherwise in my opinion all the rods built and waiting in all the shops around this country are nothing more than mass produced rods not custom hand crafted made to order works of art . like i said just my .02 worth ...
John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's ...

Posted by: John Knapp (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 09:57PM

I'm just looking for an alternative to the every day reel seat and the one on the signiture series rods are that alternitive. I've built many rods for people and myself that are superior works of art. It's just frustrating to me to see the same Fuji reel seat on a $35 dollar rod at Wall-mart, that I just put on $200 dollar rod. I just wish there were more choices available to the rod building public.

Tight wraps and tight lines. John Knapp

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: January 15, 2002 09:43AM

The appearance of your entire handle assembly is limited only by your imagination. Pat Vinzant's presentation on grips/handles/reel seats at the Rod Guild conclave was awesome. Even with off the shelf components you can differentiate from the discount store specials.

Fuji look alikes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:27AM

If you look closely, I don't think you'll find that same Fuji seat on the $35 discount store rod that you use on your $200 rod. It may look like a Fuji, but that's where most of the similarity ends.

Quality is quality, and you can never go wrong using quality parts no matter who else uses them, or doesn't use them.

Re: Fuji look alikes
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:37AM

One thing I always find amussing when looking at mass produced rods is if a lower quality guide or reel seat is used nothing is said, but let a company use Fuji and the rod will have stickers and labels all over it announcing the fact that a fuji product is part of the rod. I even saw one low cost rod with a label stating genuine fuji tip.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster