I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

you gotta see this custom handle
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 10:02AM

Look at the latest handle posted on Moment of Fame! Very nice. Anyone know who the builder is? Contact him/her and get them to post how they did it. Great job.
Buzz Butters

[momentoffame.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you gotta see this custom handle
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 14, 2002 10:12AM

That's a very nice grip and not hard to do. Each ring is notched on each face. The notched pieces that come out of the burl are glued into the regular cork pieces and vice versa. Everything can be glued up at one time.

It would be nice if more people who put photos there would add their name. It's nice to know who did the work and to be able to contact the with questions or congratulations on such nice work.

Posted by: Clint Doak (---.newholland.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 11:10AM

What did he use to cut the cork? I would think even a fine tooth saw would remove too much material. Is a knife used? Thanks for the help.
Clint

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 11:18AM

Buzz,
How do you reach the hall of fame website?
Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 11:38AM

Sanford,
Paste this and it will take you to the rod building set up photos
Buzz

[momentoffame.com]

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2002 01:32PM

Very good looking. Looks well done. In Dale Clemmen's book "Advanced Rod Building", he has a chapter of techniques to do this in cork, hypalon, EVA, even plastics for hosels. It's been a while since I have been through that book, might not be a whole chapter, but I remember it was detailed.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Frank Moore (---.bspg1.fl.home.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 03:05PM

I hope I spell this name correctly - Pat Vinzant (please forgive me Pat if I blew it) - just made a presentation at the rod guild conclave that covered how to make decorative handles. He actually explained how to cut cork to make the handle pictured. Unfortunately, as is always the case there was not enough time for Pat to go into great detail but he covered a lot of material including materials to use other than cork (pun intended).

Posted by: Steve Parks (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 09:09PM

Hello everyone,
Glad to see you were interested in the grip I made. Sorry, Tom that I did not include my name or email address with the photo.

Tom figured it out quick. The idea just hit me one night. I haven't seen this before but I'm sure someone has done it some time or another.

I used a small hobby type mitre saw to make the cuts. I used a center square to find the axis of the cork ring. I also made a straight line on the outter edge of the ring that corresponds to that center line. Then measure a 1/4" on both sides of the center line now making three lines on the face of the ring. Next I found the 1/4" center around the circumference using 1/4" tape. Now, remember the line I drew on the edge of the ring that corresponds with the center line on the face? Now that line meets the tape at exactly the center of the circumference. So I can draw a line from the two outter lines on the face down to the point where the line on the edge meets the tape which comes out to making a 45 degree angle. I use my saw to start cutting on the outter lines of the face at a 45 degree angle down to the point at the tape. I know this will thoroughly confuse you because I'm not good at trying to describe this. Anyway, once the vee notches were cut for the burl and then the regular ring I just traded them out with each other and glued them up. Oh yea, I was using 1 1/4" x 1/2" rings. I've got some ideas on how to make a jig that will cut the rings perfect everytime by just putting the ring in the jig and cutting on the angles down to a stop. It took quite a bit of time to cut those rings like that. Actually it was very simple but time consuming. I hope I have made a contribution here with out too much confusion. It's another one of things where it's a lot easier to show than explain. If anyone can come up with a jig or quicker and more accurate method please let me know.

Thanks for the praises and questions fellas,
Steve

Posted by: Clint Doak (---.newholland.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 09:57AM

Thanks for the update Steve. I am pretty sure I understand what you are tell me here. I will give it a try and see if I can do it. If I have any more questions I will get back to you, and thanks again.
Clint

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster