I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

natural cork rings
Posted by: Ralph Lawler (---.208.187.131.59.fgn.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 12:53PM

Looking for natural cork rings for a couple rods I'm making. Seems like all the places I've found the cork has been bleached to that light color were used to seeing on rod handles all the time. Has anyone ever used NATURAL cork rings that has not been bleached, I understand the cork is much darker. Anyone ever come across such a thing or know someone who sells them? Thanks in advance...

Ralph

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: natural cork rings
Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 03:56PM

Dear Ralph: The bleaching of "new" cork, as you call it is bleached for a reason. Most cork rings when they come from the importer are transported in plastic containers or bags. These bags cause moisture to be trapped in them and eventually the cork will absorb it. It is not long till a fungus sets up because harvested cork is a natural product if not preserved it will eventually rot. I have seen this bleaching of rings, and personally do not mind it. Older rings may have picked up a lot of ambient dirt and soiling, This eventually looks like a fine patina. Good cork remains good cork whatever the age. Some bamboo builders I know after they've gone to their final sanding, will take a few drops of baby oil on them to get this patina going. Adrop or two is enuf. A slick cork is not what you want. I am more concerned about the radial grain and pits than I am about the bleaching. Good Luck in your quest for the best cork

Re: natural cork rings
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 04:33PM

just my .02 worth keep in mind after you work the cork the white pickle color you see on the od will turn to a awesome tan ... if you can just take 1 ring and snap it in half and then you will see what you will end up with .... Tight wraps John T Burford aka: Tightline Rod's

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster