I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which rod blank
Posted by: Robert Peet (---.lbcpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 12, 2002 10:30PM

First I must appologize for being a real newbie to this rod building world but I guess we all start about the same place.
I know the rod that I want to build, one problem, the blank is listed as a "Spinning rod blank" and I want to build a casting rod. I am missing something or is there really a engineered difference between the models.
Also, I would appreciate any feedback on guide recomendations for saltwater use. I do not feel that I can justify gold cermet at this time.
thanks in advance

Robert Peet

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which rod blank
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2002 11:56PM

Robert,

What you ask is a good question, but in order to answer it I would need some more information. There is no "engineered" difference in the materials used. Although spinning rod blanks are usually made with a larger, stiffer butt section. The difference is in the application. What brand blank are you taking about? What kind of fishing are you going to do? What rod action do you prefer? Somebody on this board will probably be familiar with the blank you are interested in. In my own personal experience, I sometimes switch blanks between baitcasting and spinning in lighter saltwater rods. I always try to buy a blank made for the application I need. This is kind of a grey area, no set rules.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 09:13AM

There is no difference. The catagories listing spinning and blank models are there as a guide to help people find blanks which the manufacturer thinks will fit a particular fishing style. In many cases, the exact same blank is listed under both catagories although sometimes with a different model number. (In the past some companies have graciously offered cross-reference charts.)

Example - Until just recently if you looked in the G. Loomis catalog at the Casting and Spin-Jig catagory, you were looking at exactly the same blanks, with different model numbers. All the Mag Bass blanks were the same as those used for the Spin-Jig in the 6'6" to 7' range. The L Series and Back Bouncing blanks were the same. I could go on but this should give you the idea.

A blank is a blank is a blank. Any model that appears a good choice for more than one application may be listed under several catagories. As you progress, you will rely less on the catagory name and more on the length, action and power to determine whether or not that blank will do what you need to do.

Posted by: Robert Peet (---.lbcpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 01:16PM

Thanks for asking.
I am looking at a St. Croix 5ES66MF blank which is thier spinning blank as an alternate to the 5EC68MXF which is the closest thing in casting. I would prefer to remain just under 7' long at the T-top on my boat is at 7' and the rod rack is under it.
The C65MXF is rated for 8-14 # line and the S66MF is for 6-12. I know this is being somewhat picky, but I already have a Loomis 844 casting rod ( wonderful redfish stick).
Many thanks for the extended replys to my question.

Robert

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.boeing.com)
Date: January 14, 2002 10:24AM

Robert,

St. Croix lists following on their web page:

5S66MF, 6'6", 1 piece, Medium Power, FAST Action, 6-12 lb. line, 3/16-5/8 oz. Lure, 0.438 butt diameter, 5.0 tip, 1.20 oz.

5C66MF, 6'6", 1 piece, Medium Power, FAST action, 10-17 lb. line, 1/4-3/4 oz. lure, 0.448 butt diameter, 6.0 tip, 1.45 oz.

5C68MXF, 6'8", 1piece, Medium Power, X-FAST action, 8-14 lb. line, 3/16-5/8 oz. lure, 0.475 butt diameter, 5.0 tip, 1.50 oz.

Both of the first two blanks have a fast tip, while the 5C68MXF has a Extra Fast tip. My pick would be one of the Fast Action models.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster