I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yellow Rod Wrapping
Posted by: ART sTAUFFER (---.ccia.com)
Date: January 12, 2002 09:17AM

I made a ultra-light spinning rod. The blank & single foot guides are black. I used Gudebrod Yellow, size "A" thread with a red tag wrap. I put two coats of color preserver on the wraps. My problem is that I am not happy with the way the yellow wraps came out. The black from the blank & guides show thru not giving the yellow anice vibrant color. What do I need to do to get this effect. Can I make another wrapping of th yellow thread over the coated wrapping.

What is the best way to solve this problem.

ART

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yellow Rod Wrapping
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: January 12, 2002 09:28AM

you might try painting the area of the wrap white or yellow first
which would give you a brighter color, coat paint with color preserver before wrapping

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2002 09:28AM

Art, I have never been happy with the way light yellow regular thread comes out after finishing a rod. I would use bright yellow NCP thread. You can still use color preserver if you need it.

Posted by: Steve Parks (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: January 12, 2002 01:05PM

Try what Barry said about painting the wrap and the guide foot area with yellow or white. Also, do a test wrap with four wraps. Two wraps are Nylon light yellow and the other two are NCP light yellow. From this you will get four different shades of yellow. For the Nylon first, you will get the natural color of the yellow using cp then you should get a transparent type shade of yellow with no cp. On the NCP, you will get two different shades by using cp on one of them. Try them out on a scrap peice of blank and also test painting the area. Get the results you want before you pour the time into building the whole rod. Saves a lot of time and dissapointment. Been there done that!

Good luck,
Steve

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 12, 2002 04:54PM

What Color Preserver are you useing?? I usually use 2 coats thinned Guderod811 then 2 coats full strength on guide wraps, on butt wraps I use about 4 coats full strength and I get yellow to hold up.. Make sure you get CP in the tunnels.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2002 09:32PM

I don't know that I can add much to this except that I get pretty good results with yellow holding its color when I use any of the clear type color preservers. The ones that are colored white just don't seem to keep the yellow bright and the original shade. I have no technical reason to give you, just this observation.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 01:13AM

Iagree with Barry. Paint the blank under the wrap with white acrylic paint that you can get at any craft store. Wrap masking tape around the blank at each end of the area to be covered. You will probably need to apply at least two coats. Seal the paint with one coat of CP, let dry and wrap the thread.

Some use white latex ceiling paint instead of the acrylic. If you have some lying around you might try it; if you buy even a quart of it it will last you several lifetimes. That's why I buy the small containers of acrylic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster