I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First timer needs blank advice
Posted by: Brett Gore (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2002 05:40PM

I am about to build my first fly rod. It will be a 6'6" - 7', 2 or 3 wt. for fishing the mountain streams of N. Georgia. I am trying to maintain a reasonable budget yet still get a rod worthy of the effort to build it.
I "think" I have narrowed my blank choices to either a St. Croix SCII for $42, a St. Croix SCIII for $63, or a Pac Bay IM6 (tradition series?) for $31. I like the idea of a Loomis GL3, but can't seem to find one for less than $88.
Any advice on these or other blanks? Feel free to throw your 2 cents worth (or more) in on any other issues that may come to mind as well.
Thanks for your consideration,
Brett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First timer needs blank advice
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2002 06:53PM

Brett,

I am not familiar with Pac Bay's IM6 blank, but other IM6 blanks I have tryed are slower than St. Criox's SCs. Are you already a fly fiaherman? If you are not, you might be happier with a rod alittle longer, 7'-6" is a good length to learn on. Shorter rods are a touch harder to learn to cast. For mountain streams, 9' or 10' would be too long. Mouintain streams are narrow.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Ron P. (---.saber.net)
Date: January 11, 2002 07:54PM

Brett....my only experience with short rods are a PacBay 8' 4# IM6 rod I built last summer. I would not call it a fast rod, but more a medium fast. It is about the right length and weight for smaller stream fishing, but has a solid backbone in case of larger "surprise" fish. It cast great for dries and handles small nymphs well. It has turned out to be the most "fun" rod I own. I can't really comment on lighter 2 or 3 # rods, but I do know from trying a few that short rods that they seem to be working hard to cast in anything but absolute calm conditions. Good luck and have fun.

Posted by: Mike Jansson (---.dialup.cyberback.com)
Date: January 11, 2002 09:49PM

All are fine blanks, but I believe I would go for the SC-3. I have built on all the above mentioned blanks in one configuration or another and I feel the St. Croix blanks are more "thought out". However, you really just have to cast each one and pick the one that is best suited to your casting and fishing style.

Posted by: Brian (---.ctsvlle1.pa.home.com)
Date: January 11, 2002 10:46PM

I just finished my first rod. It came out great (that was a relief). It is a 6'6" 2wt. PT and it is a fairly slow rod. I like slower fuller flexing rods though because i use alot of 8X tippet. The rod is specialy made by st. croix for cabelas and the blank has a 2 yr warranty. It is very accurate and will cast 40+feet with a DT line. I think that the blank is about $60
good luck
brian

Posted by: Andrew White (165.29.23.---)
Date: January 12, 2002 06:22PM

I've built on both the SCIIIs, and the Pac Bay blanks, but nothing in a 2 or 3 wt. I feel that both are really good quality, and if those are the only two options, I might lean a little toward the Pac Bay (mainly because I think that "plum" color is really pretty).

That being said, if you can find a few more bucks, I must say that I absolutely love the SCIV 7.5 ft. 3 wt (i.e. Legend Ultra). It's very light, very crisp, but still has a soft enough tip to fight and land a good-sized fish. I built one as a gift last year, and now (because some friends and I went out and played with it) I have several more orders. And, I'm definitely going to "need" one myself. St. Croix does a good job with all its blanks, but the SCIV fly blanks are just phenomenal.

Regardless, though, I'm sure you'll do great, whatever you choose!

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2002 07:37PM

Brett - are you familiar with N GA Trout Online (www.ntgo.com)? It is an active board of trouters, including several pro and amatuer rod builders. Several have discussed building 6' 6" 2/3 wts on Rainshadow and a private label blank from a builder\supplier in Athens. There is also a very big following for St Croix.

If you are an experienced caster and like a mod fast action, you may want to look into the Rainshadow 6' 6" 2wt (btw, several people use a 3 wt with it). With slide ring\cork insert reelseat, the Pac Bay light wire snakes, it makes a nice Mtn rod.

I will tell you that there is a school of thought that prefers longer light rods in the mtns so that you can "cane pole" through the rhoderdendrons (sp). I just built a 9' 4wt for this and non-wndy days on the Chattahoochee in Atl.

If you haven't, you may want to post your question there too. I'm sure several people will help you "dial" your rod in for N GA (and W NC)

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 10:09AM

Oops - www.ngto.org

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster