I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2nd request (to dealers)
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 11:36AM

I am looking for the synthetic (rubber Like) material that Loomis uses on their surf rods and salt water rods. I checked their site and they only refer to cork tape and hypalon, is it a hypalon tape?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2nd request (to dealers)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 12:21PM

Merrick has something called Quick Grip that might be what you are after.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 12:45PM

Felix I think quite a few of the vendors will get back to you on this shortly, many of them are in the process of getting ready for the conclave and may be away and unable to reply at present.
John

Date: January 08, 2002 01:09PM

Thanks, I will wait for their response

Posted by: Ed kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: January 08, 2002 03:39PM

Merrick has this in there catalog, it is made by 3M and is a tape 1" wide +/-. It is great on surf rods.

Posted by: Phil (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 06:19PM

Felix,

At some point over the last year or two, Loomis changed the materials on their surf rods. The material you're asking about is 3M safety tape or Merrick sells urethane grip tape. It is durable but not very comfortable if you surf cast for long periods. If you're using on a bait rod that will be spiked, it's OK. If your plugging, beware. That stuff will tear up wet skin.

Posted by: Ed (---.hvi.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 07:32PM

Felix,
Sorry I didn't notice your post sooner. If you can't buy directly from Merrick Tackle-- Summer Moon carries exactly what your looking for on Page 24 of our catalog. Our link is on the left.
Ed

Posted by: Petro Chem (216.54.154.---)
Date: January 09, 2002 12:23AM

Hi Felix-

Sorry I missed you first time around.... I have the 3M grip tape in black or gray in stock. I also have cork tape in .062 or .125 thick if you want something durable and comfortable, yet quite tough. Cork tape is a lot easier on your hands if you are casting constantly.

Tight lines!

Tom Kohl
Petrochemical

Date: January 10, 2002 01:16PM

Thank you, everyone :)

I will weigh each of your opinions and take into consideration what you have said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster