I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with rod building presentation
Posted by: Eric Young (---.intervoice-brite.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 09:32AM

Hi all,

We have recently started up a saltwater flyfishing club in my area and I was asked if I could give a presentation to the club on rod building. I said sure, but then later a million things started going through my head about how I'm going to do this and what I want to tell them. I was wondering if you folks that have done something like this could give me some pointers.

I think my main focus is going to be to educate them on how rods are built, and also to show them the options and advantages they get with a custom rod. If a few people show interest in building their own rods, then maybe I'll set up a seperate class to show the step by step procedures in a more hands on atmosphere. Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts, and if anyone has any input I would greatly appriciate the advise.

TIA,
Eric Young
New Smyrna Beach, FL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with rod building presentation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 10:02AM

Eric,

You are on the right track. What you want to do in such a situation, is realize that not everyone in the audience is interested in custom rods, but they all use fishing rods of one sort or another.

So if you aim your presentation at the general make-up and assembly of fishing rods in general, but gently toss in the subtle yet very real differences between the commercial and custom variety as you go along, you will hold everyone's attention and also gain the interest of some of those who previously had no idea why or how custom rods could be better.

Another thing I have done is to keep a portion of the presentation open for general questions. Let the audience know that you are not there to sell them anything, but to answer their questions about rod in general. Once the ball starts rolling you should get questions on how to store rods, what is the difference between action and power, what does modulus really mean to the fishermen, etc., etc. By answering these questions you become the expert and they guy people will go to when they need repair or even if they decide to acquire a custom rod.

If you have a slide show presentation you will have a bit more "color" in the whole affair and can elecit more questions.

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: January 08, 2002 12:06PM

Eric,

There is a rod building club in Orlando. Check your e-mail for info.

Posted by: Leon Jorgensen (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 01:58PM

When I do a presentation, I like to start off by showing the first part of Doc Ski's rod building video, which shows blanks being manufactured in the Calstar factory. Most people have no idea how a blank is built and are fascinated by the process. Also, you have created a great springboard into discussions of everything from spine to action to guide placement.

Posted by: Petro Chem (216.54.154.---)
Date: January 09, 2002 01:17AM

Hi Eric-

The previous posts are all right on the money- educate, educate, educate.

Tom Kirkman's point about getting discussion/Q&A rolling is great. I always do that, and believe me- you'll get questions you'd never expect!

Best thing to do is try to think of possible questions, and try to incorporate them into your presentation before they ever get a chance to be asked. Think about what went thru your mind when you used to buy off-the-shelf gear. What questions did you ask the guy in the sport shop? Tell the group about your experiences with your old tackle that made you turn toward custom gear.

Best of all- show the group how to FIND the SPINE- as well as what it means in relation to any rod they'll ever hold in the future. Fully explain how spine orientation can effect overall rod performance. They'll appreciate it greatly.

Hands-on types of things are great for groups- get them ALL involved! Show them how different blank materials affect performance- and what to expect when they make a choice to buy any kind of rod. Show them how to select a balanced setup- how to combine tackle that really will work for what they want to do..... catch fish!

Recount to the group why you started building- and why they can, too. Really, just about anybody can build a rod with some patience and time. Let them know where you go for information- Rodbuilding Dot Org!!! Let them know that they can come here to learn or speak.

Tight lines and make your presentation the best ever!

Don't worry- they get easier.

P.S.- A little enthusiasm goes a long way, too!

Tom Kohl
PetroChem

Hi Eric-

Tom Kirkman's point about getting discussion/Q&A rolling is great. I always do that, and believe me- you'll get questions you'd never expect!

Best thing to do is try to think of possible questions, and try to incorporate them into your presentation before they ever get a chance to be asked. Think about what went thru your mind when you used to buy off-the-shelf gear. What questions did you ask the guy in the sport shop? Tell the group about your experiences with your old tackle that made you turn toward custom gear.

Best of all- show the group how to FIND the SPINE- as well as what it means in relation to any rod they'll ever hold in the future. Fully explain how spine orientation can effect overall rod performance. They'll appreciate it greatly.

Hands-on types of things are great for groups- get them ALL involved! Show them how different blank materials affect performance- and what to expect when they make a choice to buy any kind of rod. Show them how to select a balanced setup- how to combine tackle that really will work for what they want to do..... catch fish!

Recount to the group why you started building- and why they can, too. Really, just about anybody can build a rod with some patience and time. Let them know where you go for information- Rodbuilding Dot Org!!! Let them know that they can come here to learn or speak.

Tom Kohl
PetroChem

Hi Eric-

Tom Kohl
PetroChem

Posted by: Eric Young (---.ppp.mpinet.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 09:52AM

Thanks everyone for the great advise. And also to Mike for passing along your outline! It really helped me put my thoughts together. Now I just need to start rummaging around here to see what kind of supplies I have for show and tell.

Thanks again everyone!!
Eric Young
New Smyrna Beach, FL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster