I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork rings & large I.D.
Posted by: Scott Mumford (---.cts.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 12:59AM

What is the best way to fab a cork ring handle for a saltwater bait rod
and where to find the right cork rings for this project.

What worries me is the large I.D. required somewhere between .8 and .9 causing a thin wall and how is the I.D. reamed to this size. I would like the O.D. to be around 1.3 to 1.4 inches.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork rings & large I.D.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 10:06AM

If you can find large OD rings, and there are some around, you will have much of the problem licked. You can bore the rings individually on a lathe or in a drill press with a wood boring spade bit turned at a decent RPM (at least 1200 or higher - any lower and you will tear rather than cut the bore).

Another method is to hand ream them, marking a large diameter reamer at the point where it equals the bore required. Ream to that point and stop. Cork reams easily, so this isn't as big of a job as it may seem.

I did have some large OD cork until recently. Sammy Mickel got most of mine to do a similar job to what you are working on. Try the sponsors to the left. Surely somebody has some 1.5 inch rings left around.

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 11:30AM

Scott: Clemens Tackle has cork rings in 1 1/2" OD and Merrick Tackle has them in 1 1/2", 1 3/4" and 2" OD. John

Posted by: Scott Mumford (---.cts.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 12:32PM

Tom -
Thank you for the advise. I have found the rings I need on several of the sponcers web sites.

My next delima is the bore. I do not have a drill press at this time so I will be hand reaming the cork rings. You mentioned a large diameter reamer in your post and I have not been able to locate this specific tool yet.

Where can a reamer this size ( 1") be found ?

Thank you

Posted by: Gene Maxson (---.eds.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 02:00PM

Don't forget to order more rings then you need since the larger diameter cork is not the highest of quality. For example not all the rings will be cut square.

Posted by: DENNIS (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2002 02:28PM

SCOTT
YOUR CORK REAMER CAN BE MADE FROM AN OLD BLANK OR YOU CAN BUY A CHEAP BLANK AND USE THAT. WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS CUT THE BLANK IN HALF USE FROM THE TIP TO THE MID SECTION OF THE BLANK FOR YOUR REAMER JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BLANK PIECE IS AT LEAST BIG ENOUGH TO BORE THE SIZE HOLE THAT YOU NEED IN THE CORK RING.YOUR GOING TO NEED REAMER ABRASIVE YOU CAN GET IT IN A TAPE FORM OR IN A POWDER FORM. IF YOU USE THE TAPE JUST WIND IT IN A SPIRAL DOWN THE BLANK AND YOUR READY TO REAM IF YOU USE THE POWDER FORM COAT THE PIECE OF BLANK WITH EPOXY SPREAD THE POWDER ON A PIECE OF WAX PAPER AND ROLL THE BLANK IN IT WAIT 24 HOURS AND REAM.I USE THE POWDER IT SEEM TO LAST A LONG TIME.YOU CAN GET IT IN HOME DEPOT WHEN YOU USE THE REAMER USE IT IN A TURNING MOTION NOT AN IN AND OUT MOTION IT WILL LAST LONGER HOPE THIS HELPS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster