I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why not single foot guides?
Posted by: Shawn Smith (---.as1.cmdn.mi.voyager.net)
Date: January 07, 2002 06:40PM

I have been advised not to put single foot guides on a spey rod. Why is that? I am new to rod building and have only used single foot guides once. They seemd to work fine on the 8wt. rod that I did use them on. I really seem to like the idea of and the looks of the H&H guides that stand off the blank.

Shawn Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why not single foot guides?
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2002 07:44PM

Who would tell you such a thing. I'm guess it's somebody who has never actually used them. Single foot guides will work fine on that rod.

Why not indeed!
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2002 08:57PM

Why not use them? It is a ring with a foot and leg that attaches to the blank. Why were you told it would not work. Surely the guide has no idea what type rod it is being attached to.

Tell your 'adviser' Poppycock! and use them with confidence!

Posted by: Shawn Smith (---.as0.cmdn.mi.voyager.net)
Date: January 07, 2002 09:00PM

Actually it was a customer service person from one of this sites sponsors. They said that the single foot guides would not hold up to a spey rod. They thought that the line would get caught in them and maybe rip them off. At least that is the way that I understood them. Not knocking them(they have been great to me) just getting a second opinion.

Shawn

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2002 09:07PM

They must not have used them. I have single foot guides on surf rods and they have never gotten 'knocked off' or pulled out. The darn things are tough!!!

Somewhere somebody talked about the pressure you can put on them. I think it was said that they could lift 40 pounds without damage. Then you've got the Forhan wrap as showed in the last issue of RodMaker that makes sure nothing can pull them out. You'd have to destroy the rod to get one off with that wrap.

I have seen single foot rods used on heavy sticks for snook and tarpon. If they can't tear them up I doubt anything you'll get on a spey rod will. I'd use 'em and see what happens. I'd bet they'll out live you. (No bad luck intended.)

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2002 05:34AM

I agree with all the statements made..Wraped correctly you can use single foot guides on a sailfish rod
Bob

Posted by: Sigurd Stefansson (---.ifm.uib.no)
Date: January 09, 2002 02:48AM

Shawn,

I and fellow rod-builders in Norway where spey rods (two-handers) are used frequently for salmon have used single foot guides for many years (Fuji, H&H/Seymo). I usually add a few extra turns of thread as a security wrap in front of the guide foot. They work perfectly, the only problems we've had are from our own mistakes fighting bushes and trees along the riverbank.

Sigurd Stefansson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster