I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod butt extention?
Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: January 07, 2002 01:21PM

I have an offshore rod I built for myself but I made the butt too short. Can it be extended 3 inches or so? I'm going to remove the grip anyway. It is a hollow glass blank. I thought about taking a section off a used rod and glueing it inside to make the extention. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod butt extention?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 07, 2002 02:02PM

That may or may not work. If you are using this rod so that the butt is put into a gimbal nock, or used in a fighting harness, that joint you are going to create is going to have to take a considerable amount of stress. An internal plug, depending on the wall thickness of both it and the piece you are going into, will determine whether or not it will handle this stress..

At the minimum you will want to reinforce the outer circumference of the rod butt where you install any type of internal extension. You will also want a very hefty/sturdy extension piece. I could give more specifics if I was able to see the rod in question. An oversleeze could be the better way to go, although this may increase the overall butt diameter to something you would not find acceptable.

Think about what kind of stress will be placed on that joint and build it accordingly, if at all.

Posted by: DENNIS (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2002 02:08PM

Steve
I have extended butts the way you described and everything worked out fine,but i don't know if you would want to do this on a rod used for offshore fishing you may not have the strenght you need in the butt section.depending on what type of rod your building you might want to think about adding a unibutt or a tuffbutt for added length.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: January 12, 2002 07:32AM

I have done what you are seeking, and it has held up well.

Before I go too far, let me say that I AM THE LEAST EXPERIENCED GUY ON THIS BOARD! The following has worked for me, but PLEASE get some other opinions before you make any decisions.

I would use a solid fiberglass blank, and slide it into the butt of the rod until it fit snugly, and mark that junction point. Cut the blank off 6" above your mark, and make sure it still fits snugly inside the rod. Then cut the exposed repair plug off at 3". This gives you a 2:1 support ratio, 6" inside, 3" outside. A snug fit is very important.

I would then tightly wrap the last two inches of the old butt with thread to keep it from splitting under heavy pressure. Scour the repair piece with scotchbrite, also inside the old blank as possible. Then slather rodbond or 2-ton epoxy heavily on the extension, and slide it into place with a twisting motion.

Once it dries, use thread to level out the repair area, and remove any taper. Epoxy the whole thing well and you are ready to install your handle material and gimbal as desired.

I believe this will work well, but I am not nearly as experienced as most people on this board. Maybe if I were, I would be more careful about offering advice, and keep my mouth shut!

Good luck with extending your rod.

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster