I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A little TidBit
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: January 04, 2002 11:02AM

I pretty sure that this is nothing new, but I stumbled on something yesterday that I thought would be good to pass along. I've always had a problem getting the last 1/2 of the 4oz bottles, or so, of finish out of the bottles and into the syringes. It's always been a mess having to turn the bottles horizontal so that the finish would reach the business end of the syringe and extract the finish without any air. I also always end up with finish all over the outside of the syringe. Well, while I was working on "customising" a hosel, the "light Bulb" can on. I happened to notice how much the hosel resembled a bottle stopper. I immediately grabbed my handy bottle of LS Supreme and twisted off the cap. The opening of the bottle appeared to have the same I.D. as the hosel O.D. I then proceeded to reach for the syringes, and just so happened, the hole in the hosel had the same I.D as the syringe O.D. I then placed the syringe in the hosel and then placed the hosel in the bottle. "Wa-La" it all fit tightly. I had to play with it just a bit, but I can now (without any leaks) withdraw finish from the bottle the same as a doctor would withdraw vaccine. I can place just the first 1/2" or so of the syringe in the hosel, turn the bottle up-side-down, and withdraw the finish. I don't get finish all over the outside of the syringe like I did before. It's easy and clean and I don't get no air. It work perfectly. The Hosel is part number BG28 from anglers work shop. Guys/Gals it's an exact fit for the bottles and the syringes. I would say it's worth marketing for those that are into it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A little TidBit
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (---.prodigy.net.mx)
Date: January 04, 2002 12:02PM

I always empty the finish into color coded Gerber jars and never let tham get past half full.

Too Coool!
Posted by: Jim (---.tnt1.hemet.ca.da.uu.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 01:01PM

Just so happens I have an AW order in the works so I'm adding a couple of hosels!
Thanks!

Re: Too Coool!
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: January 04, 2002 01:16PM

Great Idea! I work at a hospital so I swiped a few 16gauge 1 1/2" needles. Attach to syringe and suck out. In order to withdraw resin (LS SUP) you do have to heat it for about 10 sec. (8oz. bottle, less if using 4oz.) I am going to get some 14guage needles to see if it can be done without heating. I am thinking the hosel idea is good, going to try it.
Elrod

Re: Too Coool!
Posted by: Frank Moore (---.transedge.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 02:38PM

With the 4 and 8 ounce bottles of finish I just put a 5/32 bit in the old drill, drill a hole in the bottle cap and stick the syringe in the hole. Leave the syringes in there all the time, just make sure to leave the plunger pulled all the way out. When you want to use the syringe, push the plunger in, invert the bottle of finish and withdraw the plunger.

Yorker Caps
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.58.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 04:51PM

Order some Yorker caps from one of the suppliers. There are 2 sizes and can be reused.

Re: Syringe left in the Cap
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 04, 2002 06:05PM

I do what Frank does. Handy, and just leave the syringe in the cap with the plunger pulled up all the way to take account of any vacuum and easier withdrawal of contents.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Elrod, be careful!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.58.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 06:40PM

Hospital syringes may have a lubricant on the plunger. Do a Google search on the manufacturer and ask them if they use silicon to lub the plungers.

I have torn some of the syringes down at the hospital that I work at and it feels like there is lub on the plunger.

Re: Elrod, be careful!
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: January 05, 2002 12:13PM

I thought about that before. I like the idea of drilling the cap, but I never did it because I assumed I wouldn't be able to stop leaks around it. How do you get around that, or it the fit pretty tight and you don't get any leaks when the bottle is inverted?

Re: Fits tight
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 05, 2002 05:40PM

About 5/32" drill hole makes a tight fit with no significant leakage.
I find it's less messier than other systems. Also, as Mike B. points out the contamination with silicone. I know some say it's insigificant, but I'd rather use non-silicone coated plungers or syringes that are readily available for custom rodbuilders.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster