I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scotchbrite after sanding?
Posted by: Sigurd Stefansson (---.ifm.uib.no)
Date: January 03, 2002 04:00AM

I read with interest most discussions on this site, and I learn a lot. For various reasons (including a new house) I haven't had much time to build rods lately, but I am hoping to get back to it this spring.
A couple weeks ago Ralph O'Quinn posted a very interesting note on Scotchbrite (7448 I think) and the improved epoxy bonding to the blank using this instead of sanding, cleaning with alcohol or any other method.
I have a couple blanks and reel-seats which have already been sanded as was previously recommended, but not epoxied together yet. The sanding can't be undone, but I was thinking that by using Scotchbrite I might still obtain the other positive effects which Ralph mentioned. To answer my own question, I guess it wouldn't hurt, but any comments are greatly appreciated.

Sigurd Stefansson
Bergen, Norway

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scotchbrite after sanding?
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 03, 2002 04:47AM

Well you do not want to sand a graphite rod do to the fact sanding well cut in to the graphite fibers and cause the rod to fail under pressure. scuffing a rod with a gray scotch brite pad only deglazes the rod
Bob

Posted by: Sigurd Stefansson (---.ifm.uib.no)
Date: January 03, 2002 05:02AM

Thanks, Bob,

Perhaps 'sanding' was not quite the right word, rather to create a 'matte' surface on the blank (these are coated blanks and I'm not sanding anywhere deep enough to touch the graphite). Scuffing the blank lightly with Scotchbrite would still be possible.

Sigurd

Posted by: HenrySelesa (---.tm.net.my)
Date: January 03, 2002 06:31AM

Bob,I am from a different country and have difficulty finding Scotchbrite 7448. Will other scouring pads do the job as well?
Thanks
HSelesa

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 07:02AM

Henry,
Go to great-atlantic1.com and click on "index". You will find the Scotchbrite 7448 pads. $1.50 each.
Sanford Hochman

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 03, 2002 08:44AM

3M's pad seem to get the nod for providing the "charging" effect. Perhaps Ralph knows of another pad that gives the same benefit, I do not.

Since you have already abraded your surface the only thing you may gain with the Scotchbrite is this particle charging effect. Go ahead - it won't hurt anything.

The only thing you need to look out for is "over preparing" the surface. By that I mean disrupting the surface with scratches and gouges that are too deep and too many. You can overdo this, although it does not sound as if you did. So put your mind at ease. Anything you do with the Scotchbrite pad is not going to hurt your bond. And I would think that the bond you get even with the surface you have now will be sufficient for what your rod is likely to encounter.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 02:46AM

Hi Sigurd
We often want to bond a surface that is quite rough. The best bonding surface is one that is smoooooooth. In this event it is necessary to smooth out the surface by sanding -fileing, or whatever it takes to level the playing field. Just be careful not do any gouging. After our surface is properly smoothed, then an application of Scotchbrite is in order. An example is rough-out , unsanded blanks. The rough texture is not the best bonding medium--smooth it out somewhat with sandpaper or a file, then judiciously prepare with the Scotchbrite. Graphite reel seats usually contain a layer of crud --- run a solvent saturated rag through the seat to remove most of the black crud, then a rolled up piece of sandpaper to level things out somewhat followed with a rub down with Scotchbrite -- this latter operation being quite difficult to do. Notch the end of a wooden dowl, cut a couple square inches of scotchbrite, insert it into the dowl and spin it into the interior of the seat using your power wrapper.
Hope this helps
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster