I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Staples Wood Tone Putty
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 08:34PM

There were a number of posts asking where to buy this stuff. I couldn't find it locally, so I went to the 'net. You can buy it from the manufacturer's web site for $3.xx plus shipping.

[www.hfstaples.com]

Geez, they (and a bunch others) oughta give Tom K a commission for the free publicity. :-)

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Staples Wood Tone Putty
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 09:02PM

Well like he said here before -- he's not here to make money, he's just here to help.

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 09:12PM

Thanks for the info. We have 3 Home Depots within 10 minutes of my house and only one carries it, whats up with that?

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 09:57PM

Is this particular brand better than another? Does it have some properties that others don't have that make it better for cork? I'd like to try some on my next grip and will buy it specifically if it is the best for some reason. Thanks.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 07:28AM

Haven't a clue. Haven't used it myself yet. I just saw it mentioned on the board, thought I'd give it a try, and share with the folks where I found a reliable (I hope) source.

Bob

Posted by: Brad Bireley (---.penn.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 09:33AM

What color matches with cork? Thanks.

Posted by: Larry (4.40.159.---)
Date: January 03, 2002 10:14AM

I found some at a True Value hardward store. I used the Golden Oak. I am really not all that impress with it. I don't know how well it will adhere in the pits. It certainly isn't a magic bullet by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess time will tell.

Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.s56.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 12:00PM

You can improve the filler-to-cork bond of any of the wood fillers by simply adding a few drops of Pliobond and mixing thoroughly. Only mix it with the amount of filler you intend to use at the moment. If it darkens the mix more than you want, a tiny dot or two of white or tan artists pigment (I use acrylic) can bring back the color. You can't even pick this mixture out with a dental pick -- it actually tears the cork away first.

The wood fillers have such a smooth texture when dry, as opposed to the texture of cork and even the texture of cork/epoxy mix, that they all look artificial to me. But the Pliobond is the way to make them work if needed.

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.kscable.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 11:07PM

I couldn't find any Staples locally, so I tried some DAP Plastic Wood I got at Home Depot. This stuff works great, and the Golden Oak color matches cork very well. Just be sure to read the label CAREFULLY and store the can like they tell you. Also, be sure to mix the PW before using. One caution -- it drive VERY fast, so work quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster