I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt grip length
Posted by: Larry Copas (---.sjmo.socket.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 07:37PM

I am building a 6'6" fast action, light power, spinning rod and would like some opinions as to the appropriate length for the butt grip. The rod will be used for bass up to 5 pounds or so. It seems to me that a lot of spinning rods have an excessive butt grip length and I can't see any reason for it unless it is used to balance the rod.

Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt grip length
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 07:44PM

I don't see any reason to have it extend any farther back than the rear of the forearm. That is usually where you have it to fight a fish and to allow for two handed casting. If you make it any longer, it is just wasted rod blank that isn't really being used for anything. Make it much shorter though and your wrist takes most of the fight. 8 or 9 inches total behind the seat should be plenty I would think. Others?

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 01:31AM

Larry,

Personally, I like them shorter than the 'standard'. I want the rear grip to be just long enough to lay along my arm a bit to give some support to my wrist during a fight.

Bass aren't hard pulling fish, so I keep my bass spinning rod butts short, about 7 inches or so. That's plenty for support, and, while you seldom need to make a two handed cast in bass fishing, you can with this length if you need to.

Using this shorter butt grip length gives you more blank to do the work, making it fish effectively 'longer' than the standard 'long' handle spinning rods. That results in longer casts, better hooksets, more leverage on the fish (and thus more control), and better line management.

It also makes it easier to work certain lures, just about any that require constant rod tip manipulation like topwater baits, soft jerkbaits, or 'hard' jerkbaits. Those longer butt grips have a bad habit of hitting you back, either in the inside of the muscle of your arm, or in the side/belly (if you are a bit rotund like me). I've gotten some nasty and sore bruising from fishing with the 'wrong' rod and a jerkbait through a long tournament day.

I understand that a longer butt that you can stick in your gut is wanted for longer rods used for hard fighting (mostly saltwater) fish. I don't do that type of fishing personally.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Lee Muschler (---.217.206.125.charter-stl.com)
Date: January 03, 2002 09:02AM

Larry:

I am no expert, but would tend to agree with Buddy Sanders about a shorter than "standard" handle length. The trend today seems to be towards longer and longer handles. In fact this is one of the reasons I started custom rod building on my own. The handle on a 6-6 factory spinning rod is generally so long it is hard for me to fish. They "hang" on my forearm or gut when trying to work lures which is very awkward and annoying. A 7" handle would seem to be a good compromise to me. Not enough to get in the way, but enough to give wrist/forearm support when fighting a fish. Of course this is personal preference and will vary with body size, arm length, etc..

Lee..

Posted by: Dave Barstys (192.62.148.---)
Date: January 03, 2002 11:18AM

Larry,

I am glad that you raised this point. I would like to get input regarding the same issue but on casting rods.

I am thinking of building a 6'6" casting rod on a Loomis MB782 IMX blank. My desire is to end up with a high-end rod specifically built for open water smallmouth bass fishing with topwater baits (chug-bugs, pop R's, etc).

The factory built rod, and all casting rods over 6', for that matter, seem to have long butt grips; for 2 handed casting, I presume. I would like to build my rod with a much shorter grip but am concerned that I will encounter problems with respect to balance both during casting and retrieve.

I'd appreciate getting input from anyone who has built a 6'6" casting rod with a shorter than "normal" butt grip so I can decide if it is a good idea to proceed with my plan.

Thanks.....Dave

Posted by: Larry Copas (---.sjmo.socket.net)
Date: January 03, 2002 05:20PM

Buddy,

You confirm exactly what I have been thinking about on the the butt grip length. I am going to try 7 inches and see how I like it. Thanks for all the input.

Dave .. I use a 9 inch butt grip on just about all my bass casting rods but I think this is more of a personal preference. I like the butt to just fit under my forearm -- makes the rod feel like an extension of my arm to me. Long ago I made a bunch of rods using the "Lew Fuji Speed Grip" pistol handles and have used about every lenght between that and the 13 inch butt grip I use for striper rods. It took me a long time to decide that the 9 inch grip was best for me for bass fishing.

Thanks all
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster