I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat problems
Posted by: John (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: January 02, 2002 10:51AM

Hoping for some advice- I applied flex coat (heavy) to wraps on a rod I am building. Although I was cautious to keep the mixture in a 1:1 ratio, when I checked it this morning the coat was still sticky- I wonder if the flex coat was too old.
Anyway, can someone advise whether or not I can merely apply a new coat over the sticky layer and hope for better results or whether I should strip off the old layer and start anew...
Thanks,
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat problems
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 11:12AM

I have found the best way to apply finish is in a low humidity area (a dehumidifier helps). Also I make sure that there is fan going 4 hours after I applied the Flex Coat, make sure your area is clean (you don't want any dust or debris inbeded on your finish).

Posted by: Larry Puckett--FlyDoctor (---.er.usgs.gov)
Date: January 02, 2002 12:28PM

John--before applying flexcoat let the bottles stand in some hot water a few minutes and also try to work in a room above 70 degrees. The warming bath will make the flexcoat thinner and it will saturate threads better and have fewer bubbles. Keeping it warm will allow it to set up faster too. If your current project is still tacky after a few days you may need to add a thin top coat to seal it and finish it--FlyDoctor

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 12:40PM

Flex Coat will not "age out". It will still set up properly 100 years from now. You'll want to apply a very thin layer over the top of what you have now. The mention of slightly warming the bottles to make the mixture a hair more managable is a good one.

Do make sure you get an exact 50:50 mix. Syringes are the best way to do this and don't scrimp on the amount you mix. A small error in small mix can be enough to foil the cure. A small error in a large mix might still be contained in whatever margin for error exists. It's cheaper to mix a larger batch and get it right on the first go around than mixing a small batch that has to be repaired or replaced with another.

Posted by: Hung Nguyen (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 01:48PM

John,
I also use FlexCoat heavy and I'm almost sure your problem is due to you didn't mix long and well enough. I usually mix 2cc-3cc fr. each part for 3min. When you think you have mixed it well, mix another 30sec :). I have your problem on and off the first year, none the last 2 years. Should not be tacky after 6hours, good luck.
NSH.

Posted by: John (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: January 03, 2002 03:59PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I believe the rod will turn out nicely, and my girlfriend will love it!
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster