I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Names
Posted by: Moderator3 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 08:57PM

The problem we are faced with is that most of those who aren't using their full names aren't making nasty posts -- they are asking legitimate questions and we'd like to see them stand and get an answer. But if we do --

Then the door is open for others to come in under false email, names or whatever and cause us the kind of trouble other boards seem to be laced with.

This board is a wonderful resource and with maybe two or three others give the rod building craft a great means of communication. It's my job to yank posts which aren't up to the rules. So if you see some go down, and the message wasn't out of line, just look to the name or email. Not looking to upset anyone but we have to be consistent. In the long run, it will be better this way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 09:15PM

Tom,
One of the the things which keeps this board so upbeat and helpful is that folks ARE required to give their names. I hope you do not move to a registration system, since that will allow some sort of alias postings. Either option 2 or 3 will be fine with me.

While we're on the subject, thanks for putting this brainchild or yours into motion. The statistics you have sited above prove that it really is a big help to a bunch of folks.

Keep up the good work!

Harry Boyd
www.canerods.com
maker@canerods.com
Winnsboro, LA
BR-549 (phone #)

Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 09:36PM

Hi Tom, This is a great site to visit and be able to submit our two cents when we think we may be able to help out on a question. I would like to see it remain just as is. There, another two cents worth......... probably worth just that!

Best regards, Pat Doyle

Posted by: Jim Shambarger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 10:12PM

Posting a real name adds dimension to the message; legitimacy, camaraderie, sincerity, honesty and etc. I think that is one reason this board is so well received.

Posted by: John (---.tnt10.tucson.az.da.uu.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 10:21PM

Tom, I like the post the way they are. You get a lot of positive comments on this site and how it is the greatest.

Posted by: Jim Kind (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 10:25PM

Whatever is decided on this issue will not change the fact that I will continue to view this board on a daily basis. I am not much of a contributor (only built one rod) but I have found this forum to be a gold mine of rodbuilding information for a newbie like myself.

I monitor 8 other fishing related forums and this seems to be the only one not to contain slander and off subject topics that just waste time and web space.

For as long as I am interested in rodbuilding I will return to this forum.

My two cents

Jim Kind
Red Deer, Alberta
Canada

'I fish therfore I am'

Posted by: Richard Beeson (---.tnt5.salem.or.da.uu.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 10:34PM

I vote to keep things as is This is one GREAT site
Dick

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt7.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 11:16PM

Tom,
I too agree with all the post about keeping things the way they are. I have made good contacts here and with the fact of leaving my email ,someone can email me directly with a response if it is not directly relevant to the board. I have been coming here asking questions for some time now and I love it. Remember this, "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!"
As for good content ,it is great. I have only seen one harsh post directed to a consistent poster for making a claim to a technique he thought he had derived. When the originator seen the post he emailed him and made a demand of public apology or he would claim fraud and plagiarism. I am sure was excited about what he discovered and but wanted to share with us the technique. He made an honest mistake. He did make the apology and I am sure embarrassed also. He still contributes to the board and uses his name. I think that was harsh the way it had been handled but everyone moved forward and the board has not been hindered.
I think this system is great and allows for honesty and recovery.
Keep up all the good work.
Mark Schulte

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 11:20PM

Tom
This board is like a smooth running machine to lots of folks including yours truly. We used to have a saying back in my auto tinkering days---"IF IT RUNS DON'T FIX IT"
Ralph O'Quinn
U-40 products

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 02:03AM

Tom,

I also vote for leaving it just as it is.

I understand your frustrations, but the rules are there for all to see, and there is nothing ambiguous about them.

The moderator has been doing an excellent job of notification then deletion when required.

I'd advise you to just not worry about it anymore. Those that get deleted aren't a 'problem', they are just gone. They'll either figure it out or go away.

I can't think of any 'good' reason not to use a real name, and I CAN think of lots of 'bad' things that will come from 'anonimity'.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Al Bassett (---.tnt1.athens.ga.da.uu.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 05:17AM

I also vote to keep the board the way it is. This board has been of great help to me and would like to see it stay the same.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 05:49AM

I'm nobody, but I applaud the fact that the anonymus posters are not causing trouble. That is a good thing, because many of us have seen what damage a FEW can cause.

I would say keep it as it is and only inflict #3 upon those who have been warned ONCE. As someone stated above, they probably just didn't read the rules to start with.

Hopefully, this will remain the wonderful, helpful place it has been since I've been visiting.

THANK YOU TOM and sponsors for creating this resource for us!

-TH

Posted by: Capt. Harold (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 06:53AM

Looks as though you have the answer Tom. Just shows the quality of folks who dabble in rod crafting. By the way I'm working on the "Fly in the Handle" thing. I sure received lots of good comments on the ones already completed. I even put a gold coin in a spinning rod handle. A small fish "charm" in another.

Capt. Harold
Crystal River, FL

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 07:01AM

I read the board on a daily basis and pick up lots of really good information. I rarely post and on one occasion even embaressed myself when I when I posted before putting my brain in gear, never the less it didn't bother me that that is was done under my real name. I'm kinda proud of my name after all I have used the same one for 67 years.

My vote says leave everthing as is.

Posted by: Jim Levy (66.152.208.---)
Date: January 02, 2002 08:15AM

Ralph, the saying here in New England is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Either way, the meaning is clear. I read a lot, post a little and enjoy thoroughly.

I have no problem using my name; most of you don't know me anyway. I only contribute if I feel that I have something of value to add to the board and I think that most people view the board in a similar light. Let's all do our part to keep a good thing going in the right direction.

Jim Levy
Paradox Rods

Posted by: Will Parham (---.nationwide.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 10:00AM

My vote is don't change it. I suppose most people do not post their full name because they did not read the instructions. One deletion of their post will be all it takes to teach them the rules. If they then decide to not participate, so be it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 10:28AM

In this very thread on the name thing, there are 4 posts that should be removed as they do not include a full name. Thus my dilema. But I think I have come up with something that will take care of the problem without making it harder for anyone to post. Should it ready in a week or so.

Thank for the comments. Along with the emails I received (almost 100) it is easy to see that those who like it just as it is outnumber those who don't by a huge majority.

Posted by: Eric Young (---.intervoice-brite.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 11:22AM

Tom,

Personally, I like the options you get with a registration board, but I have seen other BB's go down the tubes after registration was added. I think keeping the posting process simple enables the largest amount of users to post on the BB. Hence, a larger amount of shared knowledge. I really like the format right now with people using their full names. It keeps things civil, and makes this a much more personal feeling board.

Your doing a great job Tom....Thanks for being so open with all of the knowledge you have accumulated over the years!! It's greatly appriciated, and has saved many years of trial and error.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 02, 2002 12:42PM

Thanks Eric, Haven't seen you in a while. Still there in Florida?

I am happy to share what I can here, and many, many others do so as well. Everybody has something of value to share.

Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2002 01:25PM

I opt for number two - least expensive for you and takes the hassle out of it.

note - you are running into the new generation huh?

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster