I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Forum
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 01:54PM

The resistance people have against using their actual name when they post is enough that I am going to re-examine this forum and how it is set up. There are a few options.

1. We move to a registration system for those who wish to post. You would then be able to use any nickname or "handle" you wish, but only after having completed a form with your real name, address, phone #, valid email, etc. After that, you would receive a password which you would use to log in with before you could post. This is the system that most boards either have or are moving to now. It's a headache for those who wish to post, but they are able to keep their identity a secret to others on the board.

2. We change the message form so that it simply will not work unless you enter the required information.

3. We stay where we are, but require a first and last name and just remove any and all who refuse to play by the rules.

I am still totally dumbfounded why anyone would not want to put their name behind anything they post and as of yet, no one has been able to give me a good reason why they should not have to (One fellow did say he was on the run from the law - I suppose that might be considered a good reason). But at the request of so many, I will look at some alternative ways of doing this. Until then, however, the rules listed at the top of this page remain in effect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Forum
Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 02:32PM

Posting the name dont bother me, what I dont like is people emailing me an answer to a question, and not postingt the answer to question on the board.. I think if you are going to do a password deal then we should have the option of keeping are email private.. Thanks dave

Re: New Forum...NO
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 01, 2002 02:37PM

Tom,
This format as it is now was created with simple rules and is what keeps interesting contact and exchange among rodbuilders, which is what it is suppose to be isn't it? I would vote that you keep it true to what you have originally made this board the success that it is. The rules for posting should be straightforward enough, and someone remaining annonymous just gives opportunities for them to attempt to be breaking rules to cause disruptions.
Sounds like it may be 'cabin fever' time for some. I would enjoy hearing from anyone in a decent manner that has to do about rodbuilding through this board, and those that want to use it for something else can simply go to another forum to express themselves there.

my two cents.

Richard Garbowski

Re: New Forum...NO
Date: January 01, 2002 02:54PM

If we go to registration, then you won't have to put up your email address. But you will have to provide it, along with much other information, to us when you register.

For Rich - we have very little if any trouble on this board. 99% of what gets posted here is just viable and good natured rod building related. But many people are still afraid or embarrased or whatever, to post their name.

Numbers
Date: January 01, 2002 02:55PM

I should add that with over 88,000 different individual rod builders using this board (most only view) the number of questions I get regarding our name policy is relatively tiny. But if it reduces my workload and cuts down on the aggravation, I'm all for it.

Re: Numbers
Posted by: Lee Ackart (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 03:35PM

Leave it the way it is. It has been successful, so why tinker just to satisfy a few. If they don't want to post their e-mail address, then that is their choice, and there are other boards they can use. I suspect there are some, such as myself, who will, if you make such a change, choose not to go thru the hassle of registration and passwords. You will, I suppose, gain some users, but you will also lose some. But then Tom, it is your board and you can do as you darn well please.

Posted by: jim (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 03:40PM

im for the way it is set up now. if a person doesn't want to give his full name (very simple rule) then he don't need to be here. keep it the way it is, just get rid of the boneheads.

Posted by: jim (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 03:44PM

re: last post, the last name is REED., don't now why it didn't come uo that way.

Re: New forum
Posted by: Neil Buchler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 03:52PM

Tom
Other boards have had a similar problem. The editor simply erases any posts that do not meet the rules set up by the board. This includes off subject topics as well as improper posting. Please leave the board rules as they are. Thanks for a great site and have a great new year.
Neil Buchler

Re: New forum
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 04:14PM

I vote for keeping this site as you have set it up. I for one do like the idea of being able to access someone at their email address in case of a lengthy answer, or to send a picture if someone asks, without having to write an essay on the board when it is not necessary. At times this is a good choice.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

it ain't broke
Posted by: Harv (63.175.140.---)
Date: January 01, 2002 04:17PM

so it doesn't need fixed !

Ya can't please everyone.....

Re: it ain't broke
Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 04:33PM

I like it the way it is.

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 04:46PM

keep it simple

Posted by: Paul Erwin (---.houston-32rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 01, 2002 05:58PM

Tom, you and the sponsors provide a wonderful forum at no cost to the end-user community. I like your option #3 - remove the posts of those who do not want to abide by the board guidelines.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 06:32PM

I like this board just the way it is. If they don't want to abide by the rules then remove the post. Great site Tom.

Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (---.prodigy.net.mx)
Date: January 01, 2002 06:39PM

Leave ti the way it is. I love free lode'n! But if you change it I'll still be here.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 07:13PM

It could be that the person feels his question is stupid or is embarassing, so the one name is the most he is willing to give, but guess what, all questions are relevant, even from novices like me. It's the support that counts, and you guys have given me plenty of that.
Sanford Hochman

Names
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 07:46PM

I have been guilty of only putting my first name up here sometimes but will try to be more careful from now on.

When you consider how friendly this board is and how helpful everyone who uses it is, I cannot reason why anyone would be afraid to post a question that they think might be stupid. I have never seen anyone made fun of or put down on this board.

I'd go with option #2. If they don't list their full name going in the post doesn't get made. That would save you the trouble from having to remove it. And I would think that most people who violate the rules don't mean to. They just haven't read them to begin with.

Re: Names
Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 08:49PM

If they don't want to give their name, then they must not have anything of real importance to say. Why let them create difficulty for the rest of us. Registering wouldn't be that much of a burdon but its the prenciple. No name, delete the behind.

Re: Names
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2002 08:53PM

Take a look over at the virtual flyshop board some time. Keep an eye on it. It erupts with regularity with everything from insults to obscenities. Never do the instigators use their names, and usually when someone does use a name it won't be their own. It is a perfect example of how a rod building message board should NOT be operated.

Keep this one as it is. Remove posts which don't have full names and let the chips fall. When the dust settles this will still be the best and friendliest rod building board on the 'net!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster