I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wanted cheapo cork rings
Posted by: Jeff Sheyn (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 02:15PM

I have a fellow who want some small crappie rods to fish around docks. He wants a Tennessee handle and has requested that I leave the rings off. He says he likes to tape his reels on. Whatever he wants, but I’m not wasting good cork that’s just gonna get taped over. So please if you have some cork you’ve rejected I’m in the need for the cheapo stuff. Thanx Jeff S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wanted cheapo cork rings
Posted by: Dave Opsahl (206.135.192.---)
Date: November 17, 2003 02:36PM

I'm not sure what cheap is to you, but Mudhole has some for $0.45 ea (1-1/4 x 1/2 w/ 0.25 hole); I've not seen any cheaper. Perhaps someone else has.

TAPE???????

Date: November 17, 2003 02:41PM

Yes this fellow uses electrical tape to affix his reels to his rods.....

You've got as good as guess as me on that one….

Thanx for the mudhole sugestion. $0.45 ea is cheap

Posted by: Ray Alston (---.duda.com)
Date: November 17, 2003 02:41PM

Last time I bought em, Jann's Netcraft had them for less than 40 cents ea.

Ray

Posted by: Chris Newberg (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 17, 2003 03:08PM

In Michigan, people tape their reels to the handles all the time for icefishing. A lot of rods have a straight EVA handle. It will be cheaper and there will not be lines on the grip from where the tape was. Just something to consider.

Alternative -- Pre-made TN Grips
Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: November 17, 2003 03:59PM

Unless the fellow is "very specific" about handle length and outside diameter, just has to have his grips turned for some reason, you can go with pre-made grips and come out way ahead of the game. We offer four different Tennessee Style cork grips, in 8", two different styles of 10" and a 11".

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: November 17, 2003 05:43PM

Thanks purchase made!!

Re: Alternative -- Pre-made TN Grips
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.89.206.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 05:45PM

Donart has large rings for .40. They have a 3/8 in hole??

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.dnvr.qwest.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 05:49PM

Want cheap? have a local restaurant save you Champagne corks and make your own. I did that once.
Even said Dom Perignon on the top. Course it got expensive collecting them all.

Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (---.ford.com)
Date: November 17, 2003 06:09PM

I'd check with the customer and see what he wants in cork quality. I doubt if he intends to tape over the entire handle,just the reel feet,at least that's how I do it. YES I have some ul rods with the reels taped on.They are not custom rods but rods I bought years ago,I even cut the slide rings off. Light and sensitive, been using them for ages and have caught a lot of pan fish on them.

Wayne

Posted by: David Henney Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 08:24PM

Bob at Custom Tackle is right, preformed grip is the way to go.. Thanks Dave's Rods

Posted by: Daren Howard (---.sbc.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 12:10PM

Preformed grips is the way to go as stated. This method of attaching a reel to an ultralight panfish rod works extremely well. You will also find that the cork usually does not get effected that badly by the tape. This is because once the reels on where the person wants it then that's all the moving of the reel that is involved. The biggest problem that occurs is the cork gets dirty everywhere but where the tape was when you take the tape off. This gives you just about as light of a reel seat as you are going to find and you can adjust the placement of the reel until you get just the balance that you want.

Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.thewebunwired.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 02:10PM

Just made myself a 61/2 ft UL St Croix. I used burl cork and taped the reel in place. Works great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster