I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HELP! Do any of our sponsers sell BPS-type spinning reel seats?
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 08:44PM

When getting my first custom spinning rod, I was asked, "What is currently your favorite rod, what do you like, and what would you change?" In my case, my favorite had been a BPS Extreme. In particular, I liked the electric sensitivity, and the way the handle made full contact with my hand, further enhancing sensitivity.

He made me a nice rod from a great blank, but the "similar" grip was not great. I found myself going back to my Extremes after a while. When he found out, he insisted on taking the rod back, and we are still friends, which is a happy ending to the story.

But I STILL want to have a custom rod with that handle type.

Here is a image URL of the exact handle/reel seat I am talking about. Copy and paste it to the location bar of your browser and hit enter to see the image: [image.basspro-shops.com]

If you notice, the foot of the reel is encompassed by the grip completely. It is like holding a Tennessee grip without the reel! The guy who invented this was a genius.

I've been told the only way to imitate this is with a Tennessee grip, or with cork tape, both of which I'm not thrilled with. So here I am.

Do any sponsors sell this style of grip? Thanks in advance.

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP! Do any of our sponsers sell BPS-type spinning reel seats?
Posted by: Tom Kelly (24.4.254.---)
Date: December 31, 2001 12:56AM

Hi Tony,
If none of the board sponsers carry them, Cabelas has some that look a lot like the BPS handles... check the following: [www.cabelas.com]

I hope this helps.

Tom

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 31, 2001 09:01AM

tony go to any supplier who sell's fuji reel seat's or call 251-943-4491 and get the new anglers resource cat. and x-mass will cum early to you thay are fuji grips and all the good folks to my left who sell fuji reel seats should be more than happy to supply you .... thight wraps and a happy new year ..John T Burford

Date: December 31, 2001 09:12AM

Thank you very much, BOTH of you!

TH

PS- Why is the screen so wide in this post? I've never seen that before.

Posted by: Ed (mrsinbad) (---.citicorp.com)
Date: December 31, 2001 01:48PM

Tony,

Try going to the Clemens catalog page 56 on the bottom left. They are refered as the Mega reel seat system. Can be had with cork or Custom Grip II. Body goes for $3.14, quick lock nut for $2.47, cork butt $13.07 and Custom Grip II butt $5.47. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Dave P (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: December 31, 2001 03:43PM

Tony, St Criox offers that style. Good Luck ,Dave

Date: January 02, 2002 06:20AM

Thanks again, guys.

I ordered one from Cabelas as a test, mainly since it seems theirs is the one I want and is complete, with the cork work done already. I only have to add some length to the rear grip, and I should have what I want.

If I like them, I will look to see if I can find the Fuji equiv, and buy from a sponsor, if any have the exact one.

The ones St Croix offers look similar in the pic, but I have used them and am not happy at all with them. They are more "mushroom" shaped, rather than even. The screw down foregrip is of a bigger diameter than the rest of it. Not very comfortable in my hand.

Thanks for the help!

-TH

Date: January 09, 2002 08:39AM

UPDATE:

The Cabelas seat is EXACTLY the same as the BPS seat, minus the painted finish. THANK YOU again, Ed!

Since I was making this seat for a heavier saltwater rod, I had to ream out the seat a little for a great fit, I swapped the 2.5" foregrip for a 3.5", and I added 4" of cork to the end of the rod. Not nearly as much work as it sounds, and it REALLY REALLY fits my hand well!

I now have two problems:

1. I still have not found a board sponsor that sells these seats
2. Now I want this grip on all of my OTHER rods!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster