I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing & sizes
Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 12:17AM

I am looking for a starting point for guides on a 9' conventional, sizes and spacing. Just to save some trial and error, I'm sure there will be some adjustment. The blank is a Lamiglas BT1083M rated for 30lbs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing & sizes
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.222.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 12:21AM

Tom, what is the distance from the butt of the rod to the rear of the reel seat and is the fixed hood to the rear?

also....
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.222.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 12:27AM

what is the model of the reel you will be using?

Re: also....
Date: December 30, 2001 01:40AM

Mike, The rod will be 21 inches from the butt to the real seat. Yes the hood is fixed to the rear. I will be using either an older squidder or my new baby, a calcutta 700 depending on which one feels better on the rod when it's done. I'm still new to this and bought the blank and guides that were recommended, but they seem way off compared to the other rods I've seen. thanks

Here ya go.....
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.190.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 02:13PM

I am currently working on 2, 1083's also. Mine are 23" from butt to rear of seat.

Spacing is as follows from tip to butt: 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 8, 10.5, 13.
Guides are as follows from tip to butt: 10, 10, 10, 10, 12, 16, 20, 25.

On yours I would simply reduce the last two distances from 10.5 to 9.5 and 13 to 12.

Just my humble opinion.

Re: Here ya go.....
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 04:42PM

Mike gave you some excellant advise. Once you have temparaly placed your guides use a deflection test to correctlly adjust your guides to their correct position on the blank. Any guide spaceing number is just a starting referance point, no 2 blanks of the same number well act the same
Bob, Have a Happy New Year

Re: Here ya go.....
Date: December 30, 2001 07:20PM

Thanks alot guys. That gives me enough to get rolling (well as soon as I'm done remodeling the bathroom anyway).
Happy New Year,
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster