I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

About Fly rods!
Posted by: Solana (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: December 29, 2001 06:00PM

Can you remove the cork grip off one with out damaging it, and or the blank?
THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About Fly rods!
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2001 08:31PM

Maybe. You can try to put the butt section in boiling water and see if that breaks the epoxy bond. Water won't hurt the cork or the blank.

But you may not find this to work. If so you will have to cut or lathe turn the grip off and start again. If you turn it off with a lathe, don't go all the way to the blank and risk harming it. Leave a bit of cork on the rod and fit your new grip to go on top of it. Don't overdo it, just maybe a 32nd or so on top of the blank.

Re: About Fly rods!
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2001 10:08PM

I don't know what you're trying to do. I have cut the rod off at the top of the grip, slipped a new blank through there and used it. This was on a broken rod. Do you need to reuse the grip? The rod? Or both? Might be best just to turn or cut off the grip and bite the bullet for a new grip. The rod is worth more than the grip I would think so the grip would be the part I would sacrifice.

THANKS ! Re: About Fly rods!
Date: December 30, 2001 07:08AM

I would like to Re-Use them both. But, if i could save the BLANK would be enough.
THANKS !

Re: THANKS ! Re: About Fly rods!
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2001 11:42AM

Solana,

First, dismount the reel seat. If it went on with epoxy, the 'judicious' use of heat should allow you to remove it without damaging the blank.

Clean away the bushing/spacers/glue residue from where the reel seat was.

Now, buy a piece of brass tubing that will just barely fit over the butt end of the rod blank and is a few inches LONGER than your grip. Most hardware stores sell it.

Sharpen one end with a file. You don't want this to be ferfectly smooth in the circumference around the edge. A few undualtions are helpful. What you are trying to do is make a 'hole' or 'coring' saw. It should only take a couple of minutes to do this.

Slide the sharpened tube over the butt of the blank and against the end of the grip. Keep the tube stright and start turning it and pushing it into the grip. It should 'bite' and start cutting into the grip. If you have an electric drill , that can be helpful (a lathe set up that will both hold the rod and the tube dead center would be nice, but way too much for most of us to have laying about). Just go slow and careful if you use a 'power' option. Stop frequently to both cool the brass and to resharpen it (brass won't hold an edge too long, especially going through a material like cork). As you get deeper into the grip, it will become harder to turn the tube. Some water as a lubricant will help (I wouldn't use oil if you want to reuse the grip).

It's important to keep the tube aligned with the blank. You can't expect it to be 'perfect', after all, you are doing it by hand. You just want to be sure you don't hit the blank.

When the tube finally makes it to the upper end of the grip, the grip will now be on the tube. Just pull the tube off the blank, and the grip will come with it.

If you've been careful, you will have a thin 'coating' of cork where the grip was still affixed to your blank. You can remove it or leave it, as you wish.

The grip should be whole, and just have a bit lager inside diameter than it used to. Reusing it will not be a problem, but it would likely need a bit larger diameter blank or some 'shimming' to 'fit' properly.

It isn't fast, but it will work. Just take your time and you should be able to reuse both parts.

Good Luck!

Re: THANKS ! Re: About Fly rods!
Date: December 30, 2001 04:22PM

THANKS a LOT ! I will do it right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster