I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Initial guide placement spinning or conv
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 08:38PM

Mr.Morton's article in the latest Rod Maker is quite interesting. Since I have plenty of thinking time as I recouperate I've come up with a ? or so.
On page 26"spinning butt guide" the line coming off the bail roller is checked for contact on the butt guide. Mr.Morton further describes quite clearly what to look for when accomplishing this procedure.
In an old Outdoor Life Book"How to Make Your Own Fishing Rods by Mel Marshall he gives almost the same advice with one difference, have the bail open,the reel spool as far "forward" in it's travel as possible then string the line to the tip and tape it,then remove the slack and tape the line to the lip of the spool so that it's at the 6 o'clock position, then take your 1st guide and move it until the line just touches the out side of the guide ring.
To me this should make for less guide placement time because the guide position is set for the actual casting configuration. I've been doing this since 1978 and it has worked well for me. In fact just before this surgery I rebuilt a 71/2ft spinner applying the New Guide Concept but went with Fuji Hardaloy Hi frame guides of 25, 16L, then 10 YSG Alconite and the rest 7mm fly rod guides. The increase in casting distance was unbelievable almost double and the only change in anything was the guides.
Since spool designs can create some hefty variations in spool diameter I've found that changing the guide height if the ring size won't work out is frequently more productive than moving the guide fore or aft.
As far as locating the butt guide initially I load the blank by hand and mark the point on the blank where the flex either 0's or close to it. I do this with both conv and spinners.
Now am i wrong in the way I do this or just doing things a bit different and admittedly stone age?
I always test cast and load or stress test each time I change guide styles or locations: push comes to shove I'll accept a little loss in distance to get even loading under a fish fighting load. I know I've probably left myself open to some heavy duty criticism but so be it; "Lay on MacDuff" Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Initial guide placement spinning or conv
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 09:22PM

When the line comes off the spool it tends to flare out a bit so Don's way might be a bit more accurate. But just as has been written in the magazine so often the line flexes or bends so a quarter inch here or there may be of little real importance. I have stayed with the earlier set-up shown on the New Guide Concept and it is working well for me. In fact, I can lay out the Concept system in about 3 or 4 minutes and do some test casting. Then play around with various other set-ups and test cast them and I have yet to improve my distance over what I did with the original set-up.

Maybe I'm getting lazy, but I get such good results with the system on the Concept thing that I am starting to think I am wasting my time test casting. Just set it up like the article says and go fishing!!! I have yet to place a bad set-up there.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster