I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

can you undo a rod?
Posted by: matt lewis (---.cbtri.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 03:04PM

this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to remove the guides and finsh off of a rod? i've built about 5 or 6 casting rods before trying the spiral wrap method. needless to say, this is the only way i will ever build a casting rod for myself. now i've got 5 or 6, that i'd much rather have spiral wrapped and these are not cheap throw away blanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can you undo a rod?
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 08:26PM

Yes, you shave off the wraps from the tops of the guide feet with a razor blade and then peel off the wraps. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften any epoxy you can't get off with a thumbnail. You may cause some cosmetic damage to the places where the guides were though. So if you don't locate the new guides on those places it will show.

Re: can you undo a rod?
Posted by: matt lewis (---.chartertn.net)
Date: December 28, 2001 10:51PM

thanks william. my guide placement shouldn't change, i'll just spiral them around in the same place.

chaning guides to spiral
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 29, 2001 10:59AM

No reason why you can't rewrap the guides in the same positions and turning them down any way that you wish.
Likely though, the rod won't perform as well as if it had been measured up with the blank from the beginning for a good spiral configuration, but I can't see it being worse than the older versions of spiral wraps that did not take much into account for guide numbers and present modifications for better castability. Also whether it will change much the stress distribution, I have really no idea.
As much as is said about the spiral casting rod, I don't believe it is the end all solution to factory rods where the guides are angled differently, but what the heck, this may be a new angle for wrapping more guides and getting more work and some further experimentation?

For optimal spiral wrapped rods, the custom rodbuilder will take much more into account at the preparation stage in determining best placement for each particular blank and what purpose one wants best to be achieved (casting? fish fighting?, trolling? etc. also keeping in mind where the 'power' bend of the rod and best guide placement (and number) accordingly.

my opinion

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: chaning guides to spiral
Posted by: matt lewis (---.chartertn.net)
Date: December 29, 2001 04:31PM

i understand what you're saying. these are the first rods i built, and i used loomis's guide spacing, then tweaked. but i believe that using these guide placements in a spiral, is better than using these guide placements with the guides on top. so while i agree with ya rich, that the placement may not be optimum, at least they will be spiral wrapped.

on a side note, i got the first rod "undone" last night, and it came pretty clean. you can still see where the guides were, but it's not too bad. since these rods are for me, i may go ahead and tweak the position if needed.

thanks for the help guys!

Re: chaning guides to spiral
Posted by: RogerStg (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2001 11:02AM

If you want to remove the final residue of epoxy from the rod use a Dremel tool with the black nylon brush. Then wipe off the dust with a little alcohol on a rag. I've done this with blanks from Scott, Loomis and a few that I don't remember the brands. It seems that the brush is abrasive to the thread finish, but softer than the rod finish. The only remnant of where the guide was showed as a minuscule shiny area on the mat finished Loomis rod where the guide contacted the blank. Basically the guide seemed to have polish the tiny area under its foot.

It's a neat trick, and fast.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster