I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Musky/Cat?
Posted by: Rob (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 01:55PM

I'm getting ready to build a catfish/musky rod and was looking to the Croix 1C or SG/SGT series and was curious the difference between the blanks. I believe they are both the linear midnight blue S-Glass rods. Is there a difference in construction/action or just size offerings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Musky/Cat?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 28, 2001 04:16PM

Rob,
SCI Glass is St. Croix's linear S- Fiberglass matrix that is higher in modulus than most other S-Glass blanks.
The Classic Cat 1C series are SCI glass and so are the SG/SGT series of S-Glass blanks. The differences lie in the sizes offered, actions, and powers.
Got any particulars about the type of musky rod you intend to build?
St. Croix musky blanks are the best to be offered in my opinion, some of the Catfish S-Blanks fit very nicely for certain musky applications and for trolling some very nice choices. The SG69H is an excellent jerk/crankbait type of musky rod that are quite popular.
Feel free to email me for any further information or selections for these blanks.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Re: St. Croix Musky/Cat?
Posted by: Rob (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 29, 2001 12:18AM

I like to give the fish a sporting chance so 20lb line is my choice. I troll/cast about 70/30 and fish the southern strain of musky with large crankbaits and spinners a la the Mepps Musky Killer. I turn to catfish and striper when musky are hard to come by, often changing to live bait. I wanted build an all-around rod for these three species and the St. Croix SCI seems to be a favorite of both musky and catfisherfolk, especially up north. I'm sure it would handle an occasional 40lb stripe as well.

Re: Musky and sporting chance?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 29, 2001 11:24AM

Less to do with rodbuilding and more to do with musky fisheries management, I tend to disagree about the use of light lines in giving the magnificent muskie the so-called 'sporting chance'. Current thinking about the use of heavy lines, and thus properly tapered and heavier rated musky rods is more to do with managing the idea that bringing in the fish with less time (perhaps less fight) is less detrimental when releasing the fish and ensuring it lives beyond that which you can see it swimming away. From what is becoming known is that lactic acid buildup caused by a long fight can be a latent killer on released large muskies, thus not recommending lighter lines and less rated rods/reels.

It's surely a thrill to catch a large muskie, but they are much more vulnerable from being overplayed with light tackle than many imagine. Statistics from fisheries management and professional musky guides would show that fish being overplayed for long periods, or being out of the water long, being handled improperly, or use of various live bait rigs (swallowed) create more prolonged death rates and thus reduction in potential trophy sized musky populations. I'm one of those rodbuilders/anglers that advocates the use of properly sized musky rods/reels to bring in the fish for more assured live release rates and less harm to the fish by overplay with undersized tackle. St. Croix blank ratings and tapers surely seem to take all this into consideration.

I see no reason one could not cross over with a musky/cat trolling rod with good success, but the two species have entirely different fighting capabilities and habitats. The Classic Cat S-Glass series are often used in musky applications for trolling especially, where handle configurations might be more adaptable. The idea of using the IC series of cat blanks, one can design they type of configuration desired to adapt better for musky. The fun of rodbuilding.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Musky and sporting chance?
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: December 31, 2001 02:44PM

Good point about catch and release musky fishing and lighter lines. I've caught and released plenty and do find them to be more vulnerable to handling than other fish in their weight class. Whereas I eat most stripe and catfish, I do release musky and may need to up-size my line strength accordingly.

By the way Rich, as you seem to be an expert on musky fishing, if building a pure, all-around musky rod 60/40 troll to cast, is there one blank or series you would recommend above the rest? Subjectively speaking, what is your favorite rod and what would you build if a guide came to you asking for just the perfect "musky rod," offering little more detail than that?

It's happened to me twice now. For one a did a spiral-wrapped Rainshadow IF846 and like it but worry a little about durability under tough conditions. I think I can do better this next time for a little more money. A St. Croix 2/3M70MHF or Loomis Obsedian, maybe? Never tried either.
Rob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster