I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diamond Wraps
Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 06:16AM

Is there a book or video in existence that gives a step by step easy to understand method of wrapping diamonds? I have Clemens "Custom Rod Thread Art", which is excellent reference material, but is somewhat complicated to read due to its extensive technical material. The videos of Herbert's are also good resource tapes, yet not detailed enough. Tom Kirkman's book describes very well in pictures how to wrap thread in words and pictures. This is what I had in mind. I will experiment in any case, but a source material would help.
Thanks for any help.
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamond Wraps
Posted by: GregR (192.223.226.---)
Date: December 28, 2001 09:25AM

Sanford,

Have you seen Decorative Rod Wrapping from Flex Coat??? Each booklet costs under $5. It shows the sequence in which to lay the threads. There are not may words... mostly thread patterns. Most people find it much easier to understand than the Clemens book, although the patterns are less complexe (diamonds, flags, crosses, etc.)

Hope this helped.

Greg
[www.ReelsAndEels.com]

Posted by: Rick Gilman (166.109.135.---)
Date: December 28, 2001 09:29AM

Stanford Mud Hole tackle has a good video on butt raps. Rick

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 28, 2001 09:34AM

I rarely push my own book, but since it is exactly what you need I will do so now.

In the last chapter on further techniques, I wanted to add a full color step by step instructional treatise on the basic diamond wrap. I had not seen what I thought was a good basic one so I created one. The folks at Amato books did a good job laying it out. It will teach you the basics in an easy to understand form with very clear and precise color photos. It is exactly what you need and most any of the sponsors listed to the left will have it.

It's a very inexpensive book and I would think the diamond wrap instructions would be worth the price alone. Rod Building Guide is the title.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 12:20PM

Soon there will be a Butt Wrapping software program for your computer, VisualWrap. This program will allow you to see the pattern as it is constructed, thread by thread. There will be a website that will allow you to download all the patterns that are in the Clemens book, and where people can add there own patterns.

I think this coupled with the above reference material will be a very useful resource. Billy

Re: Diamond Wraps/Thanks
Date: December 28, 2001 05:15PM

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I will look forward to the computerized version. Your support is most appreciated.
Sanford

Date: December 28, 2001 05:17PM

Thanks for all your support. It really helps!
Sanford

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 08:27PM

Tom's book will be the most help to you for learning the basic diamond which is the basis for most other wraps as well. I had already done some diamonds before I saw his book but wish it had been available when I was starting out. Well worth the money many times over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster