I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod
Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 09:26AM

A friend of mine is moving from Florida to Colorado Springs and I want to make him a fly rod. All I have ever made is spinning rods-5 to be exact.

Three questions please:

Would a 5 weight 3 piece be a good choice?

What manufacturer would be a good choice?

Are there any significant difference between constructing fly rods versus a spinning rod.

Thank You

Spencer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.244.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 10:27AM

No real difference in construction - the handle is just assembled with the seat at the butt of the rod.

An 8'6" to 9' 5-weight fly rod is a good all around choice for most trout, and even some general bream and bass fishing in most areas.

There are really too many good choices for me to go through a list. I came up building rods in an era where you had maybe 3 or perhaps 4 blank manufacturers and the selection from each was spotty at best. Now you can choose from over a dozen manufacturers and the selection is almost endless. I don't know - maybe having too many choices isn't a good thing after all.

My favorites would be the St. Croix SCIV and All Star Austin series. But I can't say these are better than anything else. I've had many fly rod blanks through the shop in the past year and I continue to be amazed at how good all the offerings have become, even the ones that are fairly inexpensive.

Posted by: Jeff Fultz - Platte River Rods (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 10:27AM

A 9' 5 wt or maybe a 9' 4 wt. wold be the main rod used around here (Colorado Front Range). A two, three or four piece rod would be great but a four piece would be easier to travel with and if your friend was interested in any back country fishing than the four piece would almost be a necessity.
There are too many good manufacturers too list but hear are a few that I have experience with and highly recommend. To get the most bang for your buck, I would suggest Tiger Eye, Pac-Bay, Rainshadow or Dan Craft. If you want the rod to have a lifetime warranty and a well recognized name, then you can't go wrong with a St. Croix. If you want the best money can buy, I would not hesitate to recommend a Thomas & Thomas!
Building a fly rod is a Little different than building a spin rod but if you can do one, you can surely do the other. Feel free to give me a call with any questions you might have, and be sure to check out my all inclusive fly rod building kits on my website at www.platteriverrods.com.

Posted by: Joel Anspach (---.parads01.nm.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 10:47AM

A 9' 5wt. is a great all around western rod. I just built a Loomis IMX 3pc and tried it out on the San Juan. Best rod I've ever had.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 08:46PM

I just visited and flyfished with a friend in Castle Rock, CO. This was my first airline fishing trip since 9-11, and my two piece rod had to be checked as a piece of luggage. That's one less bag I could have checked with gear. Prior to my trip, I had already purchased a four piece, 9' 5wt for future trips. This size, under 30" in the case, will travel inside of a piece of luggage on future flights. So if your friend plans on traveling with his rod, a four piece might come in handy. It does for the friend I visited, as he travels east now and then.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 08:52PM

Thank you for all the advice.

Spencer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster