I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy in the reel seat threads
Posted by: Mike Carpenter (---.minneapolis-11-12rs.mn.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 17, 2001 11:17PM

On occasion, I have had a little epoxy seep out onto the reel seat threads while drying. Since I'd hate to scratch the anodized black finish on the reel seat by trying to pry off this over spill, I was wondering if I could safely loosen this epoxy by applying a little heat with a soldering iron or a hot glue gun. Has anyone experimented with a similar technique?

I've tried the hair dryer technique, and it just doesn't seem to get the epoxy very hot.

Thanks for any advice !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy in the reel seat threads
Posted by: Dave (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 17, 2001 11:36PM

Try a alcohol lamp, or just try useing a finger nail.. If you are useing slow cure epoxy you should not have any problems in less than 24 hours.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 18, 2001 02:34AM

Mike,
Next time you might try wrapping the reel seat threads with black electrical tape before assembling. Clean off what residue in on the grip, and anything on the tape over the tread will be easily removed by peeling it off the next day when all is dry. It really works. try it. and saves the time and trouble, solvent, etc. in wiping it once the epoxy gets on the threads.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: John (66.95.147.---)
Date: December 18, 2001 02:15PM

After it dries I just tight right over the epoxy breaking it out of the threads. Then I clean out the loose stuff with solvent.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 11:13PM

Follow Richards advice as the electical tape is easily stretched over the threads and just up to the edge. It removes nicely. It is by far the easiest way. Very little prep and 100% guaranteed satisfaction.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 11:41PM

Hi Guys.

I wrap the threads with a couple layers of teflon tape that plumbers use.

After applying the epoxy I just remove the teflon tape. Any extra epoxy can be cleaned off.

Other RodCrafters taught me to dip a tooth brush in 91% isopropyl alcohol and brush any residue away. Then wipe area dry with a paper towel.

Capt Neil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster