I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy mix and match
Posted by: David A Tomasch (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 16, 2001 05:27PM

I was wondering if any one out there has ever used two different epoxy finishes on the same rod? Example first coat of epoxy is LS Supreme and then is it possible to say put a second coat of another brand like Flex Coat or any other brand for that matter over the LS Supreme without any problems? I ask because I do not like the finish I get with LS Supreme and I would like to coat over it after I score it up a little bit with a scotch brite pad. Is this possible or has anyone had any experience with this before? Just to answer a few questions before I am asked about why I do not like LS Supreme is that there are bubbles that are hard to get rid off and I don't like the way it seems to crack where the top part of the guide foot meets the blank. I have tried another brand that takes a little longer to harden but I like its properties and working characteristics and wish to reinforce the LS Supreme rather that strip every guide foot off. I tried the LS Supreme because a Canadien rod builder told me he loves it and that it was extremely easy to work with so I gave it a shot but do not find the same success as him. David A Tomasch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy mix and match
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 16, 2001 07:25PM

I get really nice results with the LS Supreme and the bubbles just seem to disappear magically! But the answer your question, yes you can put another type of epoxy on top of it without problems. Since epoxies are made up of solids and have no solvents in them you don't have to fear any sort of reaction from one to the other. I think it is done pretty commonly without problems.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 17, 2001 10:08AM

Just make sure you have allowed the LS to setup completely, then I can't see why you would have any troubles. That may not be necessay but good insurance.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 17, 2001 03:34PM

I agree with William and ELrod What you have todo when putting a finish on top of another is to wait for the one to cure. then scuff it before putting another on. As for creaking at the foot of the guide. The only time I have had this problem is when I have not beveled the foot of the guide to where it makes a even transition to the blank. There should be no big bump where the rod and guide foot meet.
Bob

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 02:41PM

I have just finished a spinning rod that has crystal coat as my first base coat, LS Supreme for the second coat, and the final coat was Flex-Coat. The rod looks good with no evidence of imcompatability. I did warm the materials in a bowl of warm water before applicaation, which makes all the difference. Try it and I think you will be surprised at the result.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster