I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis 9' 3 piece spacing.
Posted by: Ed Kelly (---.pompano.net)
Date: December 16, 2001 04:42PM

Looking at the Loomis recommendations for guide spacing on a 9' 3-piece 8wt rod, they recommend that the sixth guide be placed at 37" from the tip. The top section is exactly 37" long. Where would you put this guide? On the ferrule section of the top section, or immediately below it on the middle section. Where does Loomis put it on their 3-piece rods? This is the GL3 F1088/9-3M blank.

Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis 9' 3 piece spacing.
Posted by: Jim Shambarger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 16, 2001 05:17PM

For what it is worth for a Loomis 3 piece 9" 8wt. rod----
I just used the spacing method in the last issue of Rod Maker from the article by Don Morton. I came up with this spacing using 10 deg., 23 deg, 40 deg, 60 deg., 80 deg., 100 deg., and 120 deg.: 3”, 7 1/8”, 12 5/8”, 18 7/8”, 25”, 31 ¼” and 39 3/8” if you place a guide at 120 deg. I am going to place “the stripper” at about 75 ¾”. I will use another stripper type guide 4” above the stripper (it falls on the connection between the 2nd and 3rd pieces if I don't shuffle these down an inch). The Loomis spacing would have been 4”, 9”, 15”, 22”, 29 ½”, 37 ½”, and maybe 46 5/8” for these same guides.
Loomis used 10" between guides above the stripper at 76 1/2" up to the 46 5/8" guide. I will do about the same with my lower guides.

This is quite a variation from what the factory would use! Using this spacing will be better for "my particular rod" than the factory settings.

If you want to use the Loomis spacing, see where the stripper is right for you and adjust the 37" guide up or down an inch depending on where the stripper guide fits you best.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 17, 2001 10:13AM

Agree with Jim, setup the rod with reel and line. Now reach forward as you would while fishing to grab the line preparing to cast. Note where you hand is in relation to the blank. Place the stripper a 2-3 inches above that point. I also might suggest you use the Loomis spacing as a GUIDE, not final placement. Be sure and stress test the blank and test cast to find the best location for the guides. This will give you a "better-than-factory" result if done properly. Spend alot of time when spacing guides. This is my opinion is the most critical portion of building a rod.

Posted by: steve (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 11:04PM

call loomis directly for guide spacing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster