I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wiring for sewing machine motor
Posted by: Myles Boon (168.132.10.---)
Date: September 10, 2003 07:24AM

Hi all,
Can anyone help I am currently building my wrapper and want to use a sewing machine motor and pedal to power it. Has anyone got plans or directions for the wiring of everything eg where do i wire in the dimmer switch etc. Just wish we had all the great stuff that is available to you guys/gals in the States down in oz.

regards
myles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wiring for sewing machine motor
Posted by: Richard O'Mara (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 10, 2003 09:56AM

I don't know if things are the same there as here, what is the color of the wiring...is one black and the other white...I think your wiring standards are different. One wire will be the live, and another the neutral, unless it's a three wire system..live, neutral and ground...I would hook the reostat, or dimmer switch into the live (black) Here live is black or red, neutral is white, ground is green or bare wire...I hope this helps

Posted by: Jack Levavi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2003 10:22AM

I asked about this ina previous post, but got no response, so I will try again. The setup I have works as follows: 2 wires run from the motor to a plug that goes into a receptacle that has 2 outlets, 1 marked "light', and 1 marked "motor". From this receptacle run 2 sets of wires, 1 to the foot pedal and another to a plug that goes into the wall outlet. I bought a Lutron dimmer that has 2 black wires and a green which is the ground. I wonder if anyone can tell me how to wire the dimmer into the system so that it slows the engine speed. The foot pedal seems to control the speed from fast to super , even the lowest setting is way too fast for wrapping. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.du.rtmc.net)
Date: September 10, 2003 12:01PM

You should cut the "hot" wire going INTO the motor and connect the dimmer there. Just like putting in a light switch. I would recommend mounting the dimmer switch in a recepticle box within easy reach for adjustment.

Posted by: Lou Lampe (---.tcsn.uswest.net)
Date: September 10, 2003 03:53PM

- Do a search here on "sewing". Select Subject and All Dates. I came up with 39 hits which contained advice on pulleys and reduction ratios. There was no reasonable advice on rewiring the motor.
- SAFETY considerations say that you should leave the pedal and motor wired exactly as it was. If you want to change anything get an electrician who knows how to wire speed controllers to motors and what kind of "dimmer" to buy. It is dangerous to give or get wiring advice over the Internet. Jack, I believe that is why you got no replies to your previous post.
- The pedal controls the speed. Why buy a "dimmer"?
- There is no reasonable way to get low enough speeds for rod wrapping without using speed reduction pulleys.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: September 11, 2003 10:28AM

The resistance of the dimmer is just another resistance in series with the resistance in the foot pedal. In effect it does the same thing electrically that the reduction of the pulley will do mechanically. If the dimmer is adjusted for a higher resistance it will lower the range of speeds of the foot pedal.

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (167.78.165.---)
Date: September 12, 2003 04:39PM

There is a lot more to slowing down AC electric motors than a simple light dimmer switch. Using one will overheat the wire, motor, or both. They work great on DC motors BUT NOT AC!!! Electric fans have specific variable speed circuits built into them. Do a search out on the internet for AC motors and speed control and you will see what I'm talking about. They do have speed contol switches for AC motors, but they ain't cheap!!!!

Posted by: John Chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2003 10:15AM

Jack, Walter...
I have a Renzetti/Clemmens lathe and have rigged it as such, with the advice of a friend who is an electrician.
First off please let me say: Be careful, ask someone else certified in this stuff and I make no guarantees to the life of your motor and will not be held liabel for any injury.
This said... I took a surface mount metal quad (4 outlet box) box and wired it with a duplex (regular two outlet) receptacle in one position and a Lutron heavy duty toggle dimmer in the other position.
The cover plate has a hole for a switch and one receptacle and is metal. The jumper on the receptacle for the black side (smaller prong slit) (the right side of the device if you look at the front of it with the ground prong at the bottom and the two slots at the top, kind of looks like a funny face) was removed to isolate each plug.
I used 12 guage extension cord wire with 3 wires (black(hot), white(neutral), green(ground)) the ground is screwed into the metal box to ground it (use a three pronged plug to plug all this in even if your motor is not grounded), the white goes to the common (big slot side) of the receptacle and the black is split with two wires "nutted" together. one goes directly to the receptacle and the other goes to one side of the dimmer and the dimmer goes to the other receptacle.
This gives me total motor control and is going strong since 1990.
I hope this is not too confusing and I can always e-mail you a schematic if need be.
Happy rolling and please be safe,
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster