I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lighting in the Shop
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.vbch1.va.home.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 09:45PM

I'm killing myself with the current lighting I have in my room. I've noticed a back issue of rod maker had this as a topic. I will probably see about getting a copy if any are still available, but in the mean time. I've tried more wattage in the over head light, I've bought a lamp that I can attach to the back of my wrapper, but the glare is very bad so I quit using it, I havn't tried flourescent lights. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lighting in the Shop
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 09:56PM

Get the article. It explained the differences in flourescent lights and what the color temp codes on the bulbs means. I redid my work area after reading that story and it made all the difference.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 12:33PM

What back issue is the lighting article in?

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Date: December 15, 2001 05:14PM

I believe the back issue is Vol.1 #5 Nov/Dec 98

a fresh coat of paint may help
Posted by: matt lewis (---.chartertn.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 10:52PM

maybe your lights aren't the problem? the color and texture of your walls/ceiling have a lot to do with lighting. a fresh coat of bright white paint will lighten up almost any room...

regular old 4' fluoro shop lights can be bought for $10 at Lowe's, and just plugged in with an extension cord so no new wiring has to take place. i use the 40 watt, but there isn't a nickle's worth of difference (to me) in the other wattages. just make sure you use the wattage bulbs specified in your lights. i can tell you from experience that you will start a fire!

you may already know all this, but thought i'd mention it anyway.

Re: a fresh coat of paint may help
Posted by: Richard Kurczak (---.dnvr.uswest.net)
Date: December 16, 2001 09:29AM

With this set of rather older eyes, I personally have used one of those round extendable magnifying flourescent lamps to better see what I'm doing and how well I'm doing it.

The advantage is that you can pretty much see every flaw/gap in your work. The disadvantage is that you're always messing with moving the lamp around.

These can be purchased at your local office supply shop for around $60.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.elnk.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: December 16, 2001 06:06PM

Dwayne; If you feel that you just are not seeing your work well enough you might look into getting yourself an Optivisor with a #4 or #5 lense. I have used one for some time now and wouldn't think of working without it. ....Jim

Date: December 16, 2001 10:27PM

I've reaseached and found a supplier for a magnified visor, your absolutely right about the difference they make, but my main concern right now is getting the right lighting. I'm doing alot more work with my wrapper lately, and more work in the evening or in the dark hours than before. From the posts, I think that flourescent lights are the preffered method of lighting. I've problems with shadows and glare especially when working with metallic thread. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster