I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"how to" books
Posted by: jim (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:03PM

can anyone suggest any good how to rod building books, and the authors. can they be ordered from your local bookstore or amazon.com? i know there is a ton of them out there but i would rather not spend a large fortune in several different books that basically tell the same thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "how to" books
Posted by: Ed (---.hvi.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:31PM

Jim,
There are lots of good books and video's.
I would recommend Tom Kirkman's Rod Building Guide as a
first choice, also Fiberglass Rod Making or Bill Stinson's
Do It Yourself Rod Building-- all are very good for a beginner.
Summer Moon has all these plus others to chose from.
Our link is at the left-- call for a catalog.
Ed / Summer Moon Rod Works.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:33PM

Rod Buiders Guide by Tom Kirkman available thru most of the vendors on the left
John

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:33PM

Ed you were to fast for me
John

Date: December 14, 2001 05:07PM

would the tom kirkman on this page happen to be the same individual that wrote the book, rod builders guide by tom kirkman?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 05:08PM

Either of the Flex Coat books are good as well. Although extremely basic, they have gotten many people started on the right foot.

Date: December 14, 2001 05:15PM

i have read the flex coat books but am now looking somthing with a little more detail.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 06:19PM

look on @#$%& there is a dale clemens rod building book new retails for about 30.00 so keep in mind when adding shipping cost
look under "rod building " it will show up there . tightwraps john t burford

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.elnk.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 06:21PM

Jim; Tom is far to modest. His book is excellent. Well written, up to date with plenty of pictures. I would order from him and make him autograph if I were you. Good luck....Jim Upton

Date: December 14, 2001 06:34PM

i was on amazon and found his book, if tom is out there would he be interested in signing it for say my famous catfish recipe?

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 08:11PM

I got one of off his site at rodmakermagazine.com and it came signed. Great book. I know they say it is aimed at beginners but even though is it easy to understand and read, it really has a ton of information in it that you will carry down the road with you for many years.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 14, 2001 08:41PM

Jim,
The new book (Rod Building Guide...) mentioned comes highly recommended and is an ideal primer to go along with beginners, but also has information relevant to intermediate rodbuilders and presents the current concepts in rodbuilding. Very well illustrated and easy to follow, as these comments keep recurring from this and other sources, as well as from customers who have purchased the book from us. I consider the book an invaluable adjunct to any course, rodbuilding class, or do it yourselfers.

Also don't bypass the Seiders book (the folks at Flex Coat) on Building Fly rods...also easy to follow and most of what you need to know for putting together fly rods.

Several good videos are available previously mentioned, you might want to do a search of the archives here and I'm sure you'll come up with further ideas. The ones by Artie Hebert are especially well put together.

I'm one to think good books are on the horizon in custom rodbuilding as the developments over the years have not been fully addressed in book form, that we often hash about. I'm sure a skilled author could make this an interesting part of our lives in rodbuilding at a higher than beginner level. (hint, Mr. K.?). Further good reads will definitely find a place in my personal library, as well as offering to rod builder customers.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

p.s. a good selection of rodbuilding books and videos are available on-line at www.rodreel.com or inquiry at info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Ed (---.hvi.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 07:30AM

Rich,
I agree. It seems to me that you would be able to produce an excellent
book. Your both knowledgeable and well written.Give it some thought!
As a side note: Tom's book is a very recent publication and not quite
as dated as some of the others. I would consider investing in more
than just one book. Heck- start a library on rod building. Most of us
have, I think.
Ed / Summer Moon

Posted by: Wes (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 07:40AM

Thanks John,
Just ordered the Rod-Building Guide, by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster