I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Question for Mr. Forhan
Posted by: Sangeroo (---.east.saic.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 02:58PM

Not to gloat, really, but I received my copy of Rodmaker earlier this week and read it through. I enjoyed your piece on single foot guides and though you didn't put an upper limit on them, you did say that SGs, properly secured could be utilized at a higher load than most poeple generally do.

I pretty much spiral wrap all my conventional rods and I like the Fuji TLSGs (titanium single-foot concept guide, like on a GLoomis GLX). I've never felt comfortable taking these beyond 15# line because there seemed to be precious little to keep them from ripping out of the wrap, but using your technique, I now think I could push these (much?) higher. The question is, how heavy a line do you think is practical?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

P.S. For those of you poor sods who haven't received your copies yet, I assure you that your impatience is well justified :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Question for Mr. Forhan
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:34PM

I'll let Rich give you his answer based on the tests he had done. For now I will just say that I have used single foot guides on some surf rods and never had a problem. And yes, I have caught a fish or two on them.

For most fishing situations, the amount of pressure put on each guide, particularly those near the tip, is a lot less than you can imagine. A few pounds at most. Obviously, rods used for heavy saltwater fishing receive a bit more, but until we get into the realm of the boat and trolling sticks used with 30lb and up lines, you will be surprised at just what those guides will take.

Posted by: Leon (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 09:41PM

Don Morton did a fascinating demonstration at the last Guild Conclave in which he picked up a chair, using a rod on which the guides were held only with a layer of masking tape. As Tom says, the vertical stress on a guide is MUCH less than one would imagine!

Posted by: Rich Forhan (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 01:11AM

Sangeroo, you're right - with this locking wrap, you can push those Fuji J-ring fly guides (6J, 7J, 8J, & 10J) MUCH higher. The bass rods I build go up to the Flip stik (the original was a saltwater blank picked by Dee) and use 25-30 lb test (and up) using the same guides as on the smaller blanks.

How high is high? I tested these guides while testing the pressures on guides on the spiral wrap. (another suprise coming there.) The limiting factor is not the guides or the line - it's the blank. Those single foot guides can take in excess of 20 lb of vertical pressure before they even flex. In comparison - a bass rod with a 5 lb pulling load will generate about .2 of a pound of vertical pressure on each tip guide - not exactly something to worry about.

I take Bass flip stiks and Musky blanks to Alaska to test my Revolver Rod design against the giants. I use the same guides as on the bass rods. I normally tangle with 20-50 lb Ling Cod, 20-100 lb Halibut and 20-50 lb King Salmon. I use 80 lb spectra line on the Lings and Halibut (party boats) and 20 lb mono on the Kings. The blanks and guides are more than a match for those Alaska fish. The single foot guides show no movement or wear. So in summary - what you've been thinking you can do - you can.

Tom has me working on an article on guides - number, type, and spacing (for both spinning and baitcasting). It will be based on my testing of actual pressures encountered on a loaded rod and especially related to the spiral wrap for baitcasting. The results apply to all rods - not just bass rods.

Date: December 15, 2001 01:19AM

Sangeroo, you're right - with this locking wrap, you can push those Fuji J-ring fly guides (6J, 7J, 8J, & 10J) MUCH higher. The bass rods I build go up to the Flip stik (the original was a saltwater blank picked by Dee) and use 25-30 lb test (and up) using the same guides as on the smaller blanks.

How high is high? I tested these guides while testing the pressures on guides on the spiral wrap. (another suprise coming there.) The limiting factor is not the guides or the line - it's the blank. Those single foot guides can take in excess of 20 lb of vertical pressure before they even flex. In comparison - a bass rod with a 5 lb pulling load will generate about .2 of a pound of vertical pressure on each tip guide - not exactly something to worry about.

I take Bass flip stiks and Musky blanks to Alaska to test my Revolver Rod design against the giants. I use the same guides as on the bass rods. I normally tangle with 20-50 lb Ling Cod, 20-100 lb Halibut and 20-50 lb King Salmon. I use 80 lb spectra line on the Lings and Halibut (party boats) and 20 lb mono on the Kings. The blanks and guides are more than a match for those Alaska fish. The single foot guides show no movement or wear. So in summary - what you've been thinking you can do - you can.

Tom has me working on an article on guides - number, type, and spacing (for both spinning and baitcasting). It will be based on my testing of actual pressures encountered on a loaded rod and especially related to the spiral wrap for baitcasting. The results apply to all rods - not just bass rods.

Date: December 15, 2001 01:23AM

Sorry about the double post - the first few attempts would't post.

Posted by: Sangeroo (---.ff.cox.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 11:20PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm building a couple of spiral wrapped rods now and with this input, I'll be using TLSGs underneath. Too cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster