I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Twisting Thread
Posted by: Paul O (---.iwco.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 06:51PM

I haven't been able to buy a nice power wrapper yet, and that would probebly solve this issue, but here goes.

I run the thread from the spool that is in a cup on the floor, under my leg for tension then on to the blank. This process works well for me until....

On a long wrap the thread twists upon itself and then a knot comes up under my leg, this causes two issuews, one it changes the look of the thread and the tension goes away after it comes out from under my leg.

I use Gudebrod.

What do I have to do to get rid of this issue?

I do untwist the spool at the end of each wrap.

Thanx

Paul O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Twisting Thread
Posted by: jim (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 07:02PM

you can get a thread tensioner from janns netcraft for about $10.00. that should take care of your problem.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 13, 2001 07:35PM

Paul

When I started building rods, in the 1970's, I built all my own equipment. The best thing I could come up with to tension the thread was to run it through a hardback book. I would fold a piece of typing paper and insert it into the book and run the thread through that. The paper would protect the pages. The book would lay flat on my work table. How deep in the book you run the thread, changes the tension. Middle of chapter one or two, light tension, chapter eighteen, too much tension. The spool of thread lay on it's side and unraveled against the book. No twist. It worked for me, for years.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Joe Graves (---.camalott.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 09:48AM

Amen to Bill, I feel sure some old timers did it this way. I started will books just to see if rod building and I were met for each other.
It did catch on as a hobby. I turned all my rods by hand for hours until I made enough to buy used power wrapper a dryer etc. That was over 16 years ago. It can grow into a very rewarding job, business or hobby.
Good luck to all starting this venture.

Posted by: Jim Shambarger (204.149.9.---)
Date: December 14, 2001 10:10AM

Paul,
I saw dircetions for making an inexpensive simple wrapper with tensioning device at this website:

[www.steelheader.net]

There was also an article in a RodCrafters Journal on making a very nice tensioning device from miscellaneous items you an get at Wal-Mart. Click on Clements Tackle on the left and follow the links to RodCrafter. I am sure there is a way to get the back issue.
Jim

Posted by: Al Millan (---.z208176141.sjc-ca.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 10:57AM

I use to use a thread bobbin that fly tyers use before I got my lathe. The only time the thread twists is when I let the bobbin hang off the blank as I add another colored thread. You can have one for each color thread you are working with too.

Check out:
[www.distantwaters.com]

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:29PM

I had used all the above before getting my own power wraper. In Dale Clemens book Fiberglass Rod Building. He had many hints on how to make inexpensive rod building tools and equement
Good Luck Bob.... PS - I have been building and repairing rod for well over 25 years

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.214.89.116.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 01:28PM

I just built my own wrapping stands w/ tensioner. I used a thru bolt the diameter of the spool hole, an oversized fender washer-threadspool-another washer-small spring-another washer-wing nut. in that order. it works great. Is very adjustable and cost about $2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster