I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping over the underwrap.
Posted by: Doug Hall (---.pop1.net)
Date: December 13, 2001 01:50AM

OK, so here's the question - When I wrap over the underwrap, how do I keep the new wrap from slipping into it? This is my first offshore rod, so this is a new one for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping over the underwrap.
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 13, 2001 04:55AM

Flip your rod end for end around so you are wrapping over the under wrap in the oppisite direcition
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Capt. Harold (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: December 13, 2001 06:22AM

Make all your underwraps in their proper position according to guide placement. Apply a coat of epoxy, let set for a few minutes then wipe clean. After sufficient drying time make your guide wraps as usual over the hard surface of underwraps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 13, 2001 09:14AM

I always used D over A and used a coat of color preserver on the underwrap before making the overwrap. All these suggestions sound like good ones to me.

Posted by: Bob (---.olypen.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 09:39AM

When I had my shop on Maui, we did almost exclusively offshore rods. On double wrapped rods, we used size "A", either regular or NCP for underwraps, with the guide wrap being "C" or "D".
On triple wraps we used "A" regular for underwrap, then "A" NCP for the first guide wrap, and "C" or "D" on the top guide wrap. The "A" NCP threads were a little larger in diameter than the "A" regular thread.
In this way the thread laid well over each other and did not appear to have that bulgy look. Tried to keep with the wraps matching the rod taper as much as possible for a uniform look.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 13, 2001 11:00AM

Size A on the underwrap and a light coat of finish, followed by double wrap on the large guides with one coat of finish between. This way you can still use A thread and then final finish coat. The smaller thread diameter of A also one can defend by more turns, so the same amount of thread , thus just as strong as C or D.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

The Over-Wrap
Posted by: Solana (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: December 14, 2001 08:10AM

How long Should the Over-Wrap be?
Is it the same if using "A" or "D" Sizes of Nylon Thread ?
THANKS !

Re: The Over-Wrap
Posted by: Doug Hall (---.pop1.net)
Date: December 18, 2001 01:47AM

Thanks for all of the advise. I didn't have any size A in the color I needed for the underwrap, so I did the CP trick. I think I'll probably stick with that method, regardless. It worked great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster