I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FISHHAWK THREAD??????
Posted by: DAN HERMANN (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2001 09:43PM

HAS ANYONE USED THIS THREAD??? IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?? THANKS DAN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FISHHAWK THREAD??????
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2001 09:51PM

Hum, hum, so, so. I guess I still like Gudebrod the best but I don't think it's all that good. At least I haven't run into any places deep in the spool where the thread has been knotted back together recently. Try tying off a crosswrap and getting halfway there and seeing this big knot coming at you from the spool!

I have some Rice thread on order. I have heard good things about it.

Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.cphz1.fl.home.com)
Date: December 12, 2001 10:58PM

I have used Fishhawk thread. Stick with Gudebrod and you will have less troubles .

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 12, 2001 11:03PM

I use Guderod silk for main wraps and fishhawk for my trim bands.. I also have used their metalic thread and I like it.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 12:04AM

I've used quite a bit of FishHawk thread and like it. Still use HT Metallic size A for weaving as it is the strongest of the size A metallics that I've tried. Tried Rice and wasn't overly impressed to switch to it from the others- National metallics suck - jmo

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 07:25AM

William, I went thru it yesterday with Gudebrod thank God no one was home I yelled and cursed so loud the dog ran and hid.

Posted by: Scott Greenberg (---.albany.thebiz.net)
Date: December 13, 2001 09:51AM

Jim,
Sorry to hear you were not happy with the National Metallic Thread.
Could you be a bit more specific and let us know just what the problem was? In addition to being used by a major rod manufacturer, we sell thousands of spools to custom rod builders, who have been really pleased with the product. We stand behind the products we sell and would like to know what the specific problem is, so we can take care of it. As a side note; all the private labels are manufactured by the same few companies, all them good.
Scott Greenberg
Merrick Tackle

Posted by: DAN HERMANN (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 09:53AM

THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK.

DAN.

National thread
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 12:33AM

I've only used the metallic so that is what my comments are towards:
It is not anywhere near as strong as Gudbrod HT; and
There are alot more breaks in the metallic wrap which then exposes the nylon or whatever the core is made out of, very frustrating to be doing a long base wrap for a diamond wrap and have a bunch of metallic breaks occur.
However, the last spool of HT had the same problem, With Fishhawk, on the other hand, I've never come across a metallic break however I find it too weak to weave with or wrap guides-great for underwraps however jmo

Re: National thread
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 14, 2001 01:00PM

I have used their metallics and would use it ANY day over Gudebrod HT. It lays down like regular thread and stays in place. I have had terrible experience with HT. The Fishhawk is my choice in mettalics, Gudebrod on regular threads. I am trying different metallics out of curiosity, Bob (Custom Tackle) is sending me some of what he carries on my next order. He seemed to thing I would like it after describing my frustrations with HT.

Re: National thread
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 01:31PM

Bob used to have some metallic thread called NU-Metallic. For making small and narrow trim wraps it is still my favorite. Doubtful it could be used for making overwraps and I have not tried it in the larger sizes, but for the small stuff, it was great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster