I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

forhan tying
Posted by: jim (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2001 09:12PM

just curious, what is the forhan wrap, and how can i get info on how to tie it. by the way im new to the board and from what ive seen so far its the best out there. thanks a bunch, jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: forhan tying
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2001 09:27PM

It's all in the most recent copy of RodMaker Magazine. You could buy a copy and get the wrap info and a whole lot more.

Not to leave you hanging though. The Forham locking wrap starts like any other security wrap but then you make an encirclement of the guide leg and then go around again, make another encirclement and around again and then one more encirclement and around twice as standard. That's it. Takes on a few seconds and will completely keep the guide in place under any and all circumstances.

Wish I could explain it better. Guess that's why I don't write for a rod building magazine.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 14, 2001 01:17PM

The locking wrap (not the Elrod locking wrap, HEHEHE!) method is easy and very secure. (sorry, the comment will be enjoyed by some) A locking wrap starts by wrapping the guide foot as usual, then make one pass behind the guide, pack the thread up under. Then continue with another pass behind the guide, but stop just as you pass the guide. While keeping tension on the thread with your fingers, encircle the guide foot by wrapping over the top and then back under. Continue as normal to complete the wrap around the blank. Do this 1-2 more times. Make an additional 2 wraps around the blank only and your done. Very easy, very effective.

Posted by: jim (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 03:54PM

sounds like it can only be done with single foot guides or can it be done with two. p.s. i just subsribed to rod builder two days ago so i hope i get this issue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 05:10PM

You will get that issue and it has already been mailed to you. I don't think you could do this on a double footed guide, nor should you need to. By their very design, double footed guides do not slip or pull out of their wrappings.

To be honest, single foot guides are not notorious for this either, but such a wrap as Rich has developed completely eliminates any and all chance of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster